Cube Audio Nenuphar Single Driver Speaker (10 inch) TQWT Enclosure

Cube Audio (Poland) designs single drivers and single driver speakers. 

Principals are Grzegorz Rulka and Marek Kostrzyński.

Link to the Cube Audio Nenuphar (with F10 Neo driver) speaker page: 

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/cube-audio-nenuphar

Link to 6Moons review by Srajan Ebaen (August 2018):

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/cubeaudio2/

----------------------------------------

Parameters (from Cube Audio):

Power: 40 W

Efficiency: 92 dB

Frequency response: 30Hz - 18kHz ( 6db)*

Dimensions: 30 x 50 x 105 cm

Weight: 40 Kg

* Frequency response may vary and depends on room size and accompanying electronic equipment.
david_ten
Keith,
I don’t believe that anyone is going overboard in regard to the damping factor (DF) variable . The Nenuphar manufacturer himself has clearly and often discussed the inherent damping of the unique driver. He has explicitly stated the driver is purposefully designed to be used preferably with high output impedance amplifiers with little or no NFB and thus a low DF. Stephen unequivocally hears an improved sound quality with the substantial lowering of the DF of his Vinnie Rossi hybrid amplifier.

No here is disputing that low output impedance amplifiers with higher DF can sound quite well driving the Nenuphar. In fact this point has been stated in this thread on more than a few occasions . Gryphon, Bakoon and Mola Mola as a few cited examples. I believe that folks on this thread recognize that Df is just ’one’ aspect but nonetheless a relevant one.

Stephen’s recent positive experience of lowering the DF did naturally raise curiosity as to how one simple resistor could achieve this. Thanks to Stephen’s email response from Vinnie Rossi explains it for us. I and I believe most of the participants on this thread seek further education on technical matters that so obviously impact sound quality.

I don’t find Srajan Ebaen’s listening levels to be an impediment to providing meaningful reviews. BTW I’ve had limited exposure to the Swiss Boenicke and I think they sound exceptionally good.
Charles
Not to change the subject, unless it's sound quality with the Nenuphars, but I just did something that improved the SQ more than any black or silver box or cable or cartridge I've ever tried.  I changed the position of my speakers.  I know, I know, ho hum, he moved them 3 inches to the left and the heavens opened up.  Nope.  It all started when I was reading a review of the L2iSE at I believe the Capital Audio Show.  The VR was in a room with some QLN Prestige 3 speakers that were placed strangely in the room.  Then last night I read a review of those speakers (very fine ones at that) and I learned the speaker designers love to set them up catty corner, firing diagonally into the room. I'd heard of one or two  maniacal audiophiles doing this (on other forums of course) and thought it was well, you know, taking things too far.  It's awkward as hell even if you do have a dedicated room.  Especially in my relatively small parallelogram of a room (but with 14' ceilings).  Anyway, I was tired of auditioning a loaner dac and just said screw it and moved things around.  Holy Crap.  That's all I'm going to say.  Holy Crap.  
S   O   U   N   D   S   T   A   G   E    W  E  N  T    L   I   K   E     T   H   I   S.
And if I could make those letters taller, that too.  And make them three dimensionally disappear into the background, that too.  And make each one vibrate in space, that too.  And then sound richer and denser, that too.  Maybe your system already sounds like that without the speakers straddling one corner of the room.  I'm learning.

In this month's TAS (October 2020) Jonathan Valin reviewed the Børresen 05 loudspeaker. In the course of the long review he discussed sound staging.

"I’m not sure I have ever before heard clearer, tighter mono focus than that delivered by the Børresen 05s. I’m not talking about vertically “slit-like” imaging here, as if the vocalist has been turned into a narrow slice of peach pie. London’s voice, for example, is life-sized, rounded, and quasi-dimensional—not slightly one-dimensional as she would be through most cones-in-a-box or as fully 3-D as she is through the MBLs—but it is also unusually 'fixed,' solid and stable and centered right between the speakers....

"I used to wonder why Michael and Lars always widely spaced their speakers (nearly wall-to-wall) at shows, and then toed them in dramatically. (The folks at Audio Physic used to do this same thing.) But it is clear to me now that, because of their speakers’ more focused, phase-coherent release of energy and their low-reflection, low-diffusion enclosures, Borresen and Kristensen were using the space between the speakers to 'imply' greater stage width."
Nenuphar journey, part 2.

My new Nenuphar Mini Monitors sounded alright after setup, but as my mother used to say, they "didn't send me anyplace I couldn't get back from." Break-in time. As they were I my living room I couldn't just crank them up and let them play 24 hours a day. I took awhile; the sound improved after about 50 hours, and the magic happened at 95 hours.

Now it was time to match the speakers with electronics. I decided to concentrate on amplifiers, adding a preamp later. I had two DACs available, one with volume control and one without, so I started with the direct from DAC to amp configuration. The DAC used was the MSB IV. Then it was on to explore my passel of FirstWatt amps, all designed by Nelson Pass and one even built by the master himself.

To be continued....
@keithr not wanting to go off on a tangent here so if you care to PM me regarding my thoughts of pros and cons of Boenicke vs Cube please feel free. We are dealers for both brands in the U.K.