Gallo 3.5 vs Merlin VSM-MXe

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade to different speakers. At the moment I'm running Gallo Strada's with a T3 Sub. While I enjoy this system, I would like a little more coherence and weight. Some more musicality would be nice too. I've been given the opportunity to get a pair of used Merlin VSM-Mxe with super bam for a nice price, or a new pair of Gallo 3.5's for the same $.
Any ideas?
g_goodwin
I'm wondering what the difference is between the Gallos and Merlins VSM with RC and BAMM tweaks is in regards to low end extension?

Also cost?

There are no small monitors I have ever heard that can plunge the depths with enough authority to be mistaken for a larger well designed full range with music that demands this. Even the heralded Magico minis which do a good job of pushing the limits in regards to what a smaller monitor can do when price is no object. That is what the larger MErlins and larger designs with larger drivers in general are for.

I will say that with the BAMM in particular, that I would expect the MErlins to do extremely well in all regards for their specific class of speaker, however.

The Gallo's are harder to classify perhaps but I think of them as competing with other larger floorstanding designs in their price range in general, a different class than Merlin VSM, which are best classified as monitors I believe.
I agree that they are monitors (on a integreated, built in stand), with bass performance that transcends the class because of the BAM, while maintaining coherency not really possible with large multi-driver speakers (though some may claim to have found one of these speakers that do have the same type of coherence, I just never heard one). I think the VSMs strikes the right balance between all these needs, but one simply has to listen a decide for themselves if the "formula" works for them. If I read OP right, he is not looking for the deepest bass, but a more musical, saturated, denser mid-range - well the Merlin midrange is fantastic in that sense.
For coherence, which is a big factor in "musicality" for many, including me, I'd look to the MErlins or any other good monitor even over Gallo's.

There are other floorstanding designs in the same price range however that also exhibit top notch coherence along with low end extension, weight, control and authority, among other things that are worth consideration.
mapman, g has a very small room and it is common knowledge that weighted deep bass will do nothing but aggrivate room resonances. the vsm is not made for large rooms and should not be compared to larger floor standing speakers that can go down to dc. it is a highly finnessed thing that can do great magic from 30 up. surely if i wanted to go lower i would not use a 6.5 inch woofer to knock your livingroom into the street. i am after linearity and lack of distortion. still, they can be very impressive in this regard.
it is just my opinion but there is a lot more than coherence going on here. have you ever heard them. new ones sound very different.
"always use the right tool for the right job."
best,
bobby
BP,

If they do 30hz up, then agree that should most likely suffice in a small room.

However, most very good small monitors I am familiar with do not go that low. For example, I use a pair of Dynaudio COntour 1.3mkii monitors in a 12X 12 room. I think these do things down below 50hz to some extent. VEry nice in that room! Until you compare to larger floorstanders that also fit well into that room and go a bit lower. Then you notice you are missing something with music that benefits from response in the lower octaves.

It is very dependant on room acoustics, agreed. Those same floorstanders that shine in the 12X12 room I mentioned tend to be a bit bass heavy as you describe in the 12X12 sunroom with cathedral ceilings above it. But that can be tamed. It is sometimes easier to subtract what is there to start with than to add it later.