Try to train them...again, or simply shoot them?

I would assume I am not the only one to have experienced this.  A friend, mate, relative or relatives friend damages a  lp or CD disk.

No matter how much I have tried, it is usually time not well spent.  I just got my CDs back from my son.  They were all fine and in "jewel" cases...some mofi.  Well they, son and girlfriend, decided to put them in a vinyl carrier.  The disks slide into a pocket and now most disks have scratches...which get worse taking them in and out of the "carrier"...and most have fingerprints/food on them.  

This is a high fidelity/stereo software concern I have had all my life.  Loaned some LPs to a friend, many "special" pressings...and yes, they came back damaged......don't you just love added ticks, pops and skips?

I have had a little success with the cd/sacd disks by giving them a bath...that will get rid of the food and fingerprints, but does nothing for the new groves across the playing surface.

Whomever said, "perfect sound forever" .....if they are not already dead, perhaps some kind of punishment, like listening to a David Lee Roth disk skip for a few years. 

Oh and, perhaps you have had luck, but trying to explain how to safely handle a LP or Disc is very much like trying to tell a politician how to be honest.

whatjd
I never lend...I give away.
Good friend needs some money? I'll give as much as I'm willing to completely lose.
Music is cheap these days...so I don't lend that out at all. I gave my niece records that I have doubles of. Everyone else can get their own music. Same goes for bikes and tools.

When I was about 6 years old, I had lent my then twenty-something cousin a 45 rpm of "Just Like Me" by Paul Revere and the Raiders. He returned it to me with a frickin’ scratch well-deep into the grooves which caused a skip. As my folks didn’t have much money, they couldn’t afford to replace the record. So, I had to get used to the newly made skip and, to this day, it sounds weird to listen to that song without it.

Fast forward about 40 years. That same cousin (who is now an audiophile) borrows several CDs and Mosaic box sets from me and returns them with one CD missing. He denies that he borrowed the missing CD, despite the fact that I had catalogued each disc that I had lent to him. Ultimately, I had to shell out to purchase a replacement disc.

The moral of these vignettes is that one should NEVER lend physical media to anyone. Nobody will take care of your stuff as well as you do.
Give the CD’s a try. Chances are decent the vast majority of them will track just fine. I have several hundred of the silver discs. Some of them have swirly surfaces gotten from who-knows-where. Maybe a couple at best have ever failed to play, either in my Sony CD player or on a computer disc drive.
" Then being so oblivious to their cluelessness they write it up expecting no one to say, uh hey bud, you ever gonna figure this out, or what?"

6,134 posts, and still he hasn't figured out what is plainly evident to most people as soon as they leave puberty, if not before. Talk about being bereft of clues.