Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
Terence Blanchard "A Tale of God's Will (a requiem for katrina)". this is an amazing and haunting CD, especially the second cut "Levees" It was just released in August this year.

I've posted this in two other threads, but it's the best cd I've bought in a long time so I'm putting it here to.
If you want to try more "recent" music I second the Diana Krall. Also Norah Jones, Clair Martin, MADELEINE PEYROUX just to name a few.
Dean, given your apparent preferences, you might also want to mention Tina May, Kitty Margolis and Camille.
For something completely different, try these:

****Bill Frisell, Matt Chamberlain, Tucker Martine and Lee Townsend – "Floratone"

****Charlie Hunter Trio – "Mistico"

More fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Many years ago I would really not know what to buy. Just buying a nice front cover did not help.
Then I subscribed to JAZZIZ magazine, which once a month sends me the magazine and a CD with a selection of different Jazz artists. Their CD´s are very high quality, and from what you hear you can go out and explore those artists other albums. In Amazon you can listen to them and decide.
I also listen a lot to SMOOTHJAZZ.COM while sitting at my computer and allthough quite repetitve often I come across some new jazz which I like and instantly order through a link on their web page.
I discovered new artists and new music through these methods and now my jazz collection numbers almost 500 CD´s.