Subwoofers down-firing or side-firing? Why?

Just added down-firing subs (Omega 10", sealed) to my Omega single driver speakers. I could ask Louis, but why do you think he designed them to be down-firing?  My prior REL and Rhythmiks were side-firing (used with very different systems). 
redwoodaudio
Brian Ding at one time offered a down-firing Rythmik model, but discontinued it after coming to the conclusion that the same woofer in the same internal volume enclosure, but front firing rather than down, sounded more impactful.
Here's what Rel says on the topic:

https://rel.net/down-firing-vs-front-firing/

BTW, I couldn't be happier with my Omega DeepHemp 8. Tone, impact, fast, and easy to place. Never asked Louis about his down-firing choice only sealed vs. ported. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer your question and I'd be happy to hear it :-).
I favor a pair of front firing subs located adjacent to the main l/r to create and preserve stereo imaging.

Low bass and the overtones of that low bass is directional, so you get stereo bass working with the imaging and phantom center channel created by equal or varied output from l/r mains.

My 15" woofers were originally down firing from a 1958 Fisher President console on 8" high bronze legs. I inherited it from my uncle who sadly died young.

He had it on carpet. I had it on hardwood floor, The rear mounted ’brilliance’ and ’presence’ controls helped balance the woofer’s output with the mid and high horns in any room.

I designed and had built new enclosures, and faced the 15" woofers forward. I added rear ports, what the heck, let’s get it ’all’. Tilted back for time alignment, project tweeters to seated ear height, and avoid propagation of woofer parallel to the floor. Toed in also avioded propagation parallel to side walls, as well as creating/preserving imaging.

Bass directionality was improved, even more so when I plugged up the rear port which was a youthful mistake, especially my size rooms (3 different rooms)