Wall mounting on studs

Hi everyone,

I'm mounting my turntable on the wall, and the shelf system is designed to span over 3 studs (and uses all 3). Since my studs in the wall are currently not where I want them to be, I'm just going to open up the wall and install new studs so my shelf can be installed exactly where I want it to be. My question is, should I just add new studs running vertically from floor to ceiling, or can I add 2x4s horinzontally between the existing studs that are 16" apart? I'm not concerned about cost or difficulty - I just want to know from a performance point of view, what's best to minimize vibration to the shelf?

Thanks!

Pierre
galpi
You might want to consider using a french cleat (or a pair of them) to attach your shelving.  Some people use this approach to hang kitchen cabinets. You'd avoid opening the wall this way. Plus, this would allow you to experiment more easily with positioning your shelving a little to the right or the left before finally fastening it down.

I've never understood mounting audio gear to the structural components of a house.  Any door slams or such transfers vibration into the walls and ceilings.
@vegasears  Works fine in homes made of concrete blocks. Wooden homes are pretty bad all round.
If the wall you will be mounting to is not a load bearing wall please be very very careful.  First time I put my tt on a wall shelf, the shelf was not mounted to a load bearing wall and it actually made matters worse.  In my particular case that wall was very resonant (I found out); probably due to the pocket doors in the same wall at the opposite end of the room.  Sure, the footfall problem had been solved, but I was then not able to listen to music at the same volume as before without inducing terrible feedback.  I reconfigured my set up and moved the wall shelf to a load bearing wall and the problem was solved.  Good luck.