Trans-Fi Terminator Tonearm: 2019 Update

In reading a few related posts on linear tracking tonearm, in general,  and Trans-Fi Terminator , in particular, I thought I would give a brief update of the Terminator.

I purchased the arm directly from Andrey in Moscow two months ago. From what I understand, Andrey has taken over production after Vic's retirement. What I received is the most up-to-date version of the arm with the carbon fibre wand and brass counterweights, the direct wire leads from cartridge to  phono amp, and a new brass manifold ( not evident from the main web-site). Both the wand and the new manifold are Andrey's contribution to the continued refinement of the Terminator.

Also,  please visit this site: https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/04/15/terminator-tonearm-new-arm-mount/. This gentlemen from NZ has developed a new arm mount for the Terminator which advanced the arm's sonics even further. It was reading through the the development of this new arm mount that convinced me to order the Terminator after much prior research. I did not purchase the arm mount from NZ as it would not readily fit my Verdier La Platine, instead Andrey made a custom arm mount. It is in essence a two point support mount rather than a single point support rod that is commonly used. 

My previous arm was a SME V of 1990's vintage mounted with a ZYX airy. The Terminator is several notch above the SME V. All the accolades given to the Terminator seem justified. My main point in writing is that the new developments by Andrey, i.e. the carbon fibre wand and the newest brass manifold, seem to improve upon the Terminator even more ( see link above ). This is the news that I wanted to share with existing Terminator owners. I asked Andrey to start a blog on all the new stuff that is happening with the arm, but it seems that he is busy making 'things'!

ledoux1238
Ledoux, I use a precision regulator from Fairchild. Talk to one of the industrial air mail-order outlets for advice. I ended up with a model 10 if I remember correctly, but that was years ago, and now would probably specify a M4100A for the Terminator.

I second the need for a solid foundation. A simple pillar of 2" aluminum rod works wonders. And for cleaning. 99% isopropanol and a cotton ball is ideal.
I am coming around to the idea of using a PVC type 'filter'. Perhaps as @dgarretson indicated, the silicone tubes may be in sync with the modulated air flow, and a stiffer material may break it up. This 'filter' should probably be used in tandem with other surge tanks, each performing a slightly different function in modulating air flow. And it be placed close to the arm as the last filtration piece before air enters the manifold. Nice!

@jtsnead 

I will give a shout out to @dgarretson he helped me with a custom brass base for my T3 which helped in getting a firm foundation for the arm see below

Please see link below. A fellow Terminator user's exploit into a better arm base, for Salvation TT and others. The key is a two point fastening connection.
https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/04/15/terminator-tonearm-new-arm-mount/

@terry9 

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

I'm running Andrey's new Terminator/Owen's Al armbase. I cannot praise the combination enough.
I strongly second Spiritofmusic's recommendation for  Andrey's new Terminator/Owen's Al armbase. Both are major upgrades to the Terminator/

Just ordered this regulator: https://www.globaltestsupply.com/product/dwyer-mpr1-0-pressure-regulator-0-5-psi-air-only
Over the weekend I added an additional 3" PVC pipe capped at both ends approximately 50 cm in length in series with the three surge tanks already in place. This was placed next to the Terminator with 1.5 m of  plastic, not silicone, tubing. The sonic effect is a tightening of the soundstage where the instruments snapped into place even more than before.

I experimented with removing the surge tanks and using the PVC pipe as a stand alone filter / surge tank. It is a far more effective modulator of air flow than I previously had imagined. Great suggestion from @jtsnead  and @terry9 .

@simes Thanks for the regulator link.