Want to setup basic home audio system

As the title states, I am looking for advice on the main components required to get a basic home audio system going for under 1k. When I do get to save more money, I am open to add more into the system. For now, what are the basic components of a home audio system that I mainly need to focus on right now? I am not looking to get a home theater setup. ONNLY LOOKING TO GET HOME AUDIO SYSTEM FOR MUSIC
diripio
thecarpathian:
Although it may sound like I'm going in the reverse order, I have made a deal with jollygreenaudiophile2 to get the Nak amps off his hands. As for speakers, I am still doing my research on some of the used gear found on the web. 

The speakers listed below were listed from a local audio shop. Didn't have the opportunity to check out the store due to work meetings but plan to go tomorrow to demo these speakers. What do you think of them?
MartinLogan Montage Floorstanding Speakers USED
NHT Absolute Tower Floorstanding Speakers USED
B&W 707 S2 Bookshelf Speakers Gloss Black
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand Bookshelf
I think you made a terrific decision on the gear.
Order, shmorder! When you are offered a great deal, jump on it.
I cannot give my opinion as I am not familiar with the sound of the speakers you have listed.
I ask that you not discount the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2.
They can even be upgraded to the Sierra 2ex with a new style SEAS woofer from Ascend. Reported to be very, very good for the upgrade cost.

Nice score on the Nakamichi’s!
And kudos to Mr. Jolly for helping a fellow music lover get started....
thecarpathian: 
One of the few great decisions I've made all year was to sign up with this forum. Never have I thought in a million years so many people would help me out and, not once, had anyone replied back negatively or in a rude manner. What an awesome community this is! I feel like this should forum should become an annual in-person event in like say, Vegas?
Regarding the Ascends, I will keep that in mind in the event I see someone selling it near my area. I did see sierra 1's with cbm-170s for sale on offermeup few months back. It must be that good if alot of forums online are talking about it!

I agree that Mr. Jolly is one cool person with some serious gear! 
Unfortunately, not all threads are as smooth and positive as this one.
They can become quite contentious and nasty. A lot of personality clashes.
Still, the majority are quite informative with guys who really know their stuff.
Also, A lot of guys who THINK they know their stuff.
I am neither. My audio knowledge is quite limited. 
Take your time finding speakers. Check power handling and sensitivity.
Make sure it is compatible with your amp.
And enjoy.

This may be the single most positive thread I've read on this forum since I became addicted to it ten months ago!