Benchmark DAC1

Is it possible to hook up an amplifier to this unit and use the headphone gain control as a volume control? I thought I read somewhere you could but just want to clarify. And If one was to purchase this DAC what would be a good transport? Does it even matter? And am I right to assume that for people who want a universal player but are on a limited budget ($1500) that DAC/transport is the best way to go? Thanks
slov_dream
The Sony XA777ES is a great SACD player and transport. I got mine used and modded for $1,500.

Good luck
Slov_dream: you can definitely use the volume control to make this unit a combined dac, single-input preamp to drive an amplifier. The volume control also controls RCA jacks on the back.

This DAC has a resampling scheme that has very strong jitter reduction, but I'm not sure about the transport requirements. Perhaps just call Benchmark and ask - they are very helpful.
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a pre-amplifier? By single input you mean I can only hook up a Transport and nothing else? Thanks