Basement listing room

So…I have lost the eternal battle over tower speakers in the family room.

However, I know I’m in good company and would like some advice on my Plan B.

Here’s the current family room set-up:

Stereo Listing:

Induction Dynamics ID-1 Tower Speakers

Parasound A21 2-channel amp

Marantz AV Receiver SR6013

Source – mostly Tidal Hi-Res

Additional components for surround sound in same room:

4 Induction dynamic ID-S2 Bookshelf speakers

1 Induction dynamics ID-S2 Center Channel

1 ID-SWC4 Induction Dynamics subwoofer

Induction Dynamics A2 subwoofer amp

My plan is to keep the 5 smaller-profile speakers & sub in the family room for surround sound set up. I’ll shift to using two bookshelf speakers and the sub for music listening in that room.

I can then take the towers downstairs and give them their own home.

Right now, the basement is raw space. Poured concrete floors and walls. Ceiling height of 7’6’ in the main area, and 7’1” in a 2nd section. Rough dimensions 29’ x 41’

I’ve linked to a floorplan with exact dimensions. (I did not clutter the diagram with ductwork, plumbing, support columns, etc, which I know should be considered, but the main mechanicals and noise factors are on the other side of the basement, opposite the stairs, and sufficiently isolated (not shown on diagram)):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3579jgzeiw8j4l8/Basement%20finish-able%20space.pdf?dl=0

I have two main questions for all the way-more-knowledgeable-than-me folks on this forum (I’m an amateur in this audioworld, though a lover of music since forever).

1) Does creating a listening room in the basement make sense given the space as described above? I can take up as much or as little of that space as needed. If it makes sense, what would be:

a. the ideal dimensions

b. the ideal placement of speakers/components given dimensions

c. the ideal materials? (I don’t have a budget per-se, but would like to find the best balance of quality-for-price. To put it another away, I’m not going to skimp where there are real gains to be had, but I don’t want to cross that line of diminishing returns)

2) What is the best why to maximize existing components without duplicating unless necessary? For example, the Marantz has two zones, I assume it’d make sense to use that feature. I can run wire/cables easily between family room and basement – though some of distances could be long depending on how the room ends up configured.) I marked on the diagram where my equipment currently resides on the main floor above.

a. If I were to improve my current stereo system (DAC, pre-amp, etc?), could those be configured to also benefit the upstairs system? Or do I need independent components for each set-up now? What are your recommendations to bring this system to the next level?

I’m sure there will be a lot of opinions on all this, but I appreciate any help/direction I can get! Thanks in advance!

skimantra2001
Being "sent to the basement" isn't all bad, but to set up a proper room you have some work to do, IMO.  I had a system in my basement but it wasn't set up right and equipment was in need of repair.  I started over, so here are my experiences. 

I would not share systems.  It is easier to optimize both systems that way.  On a side note, I blew up a nice 50W class A amp once because I left the speakers on down stairs and tried to drive 4 at once.  First and only time I had smoke in all my years of audio experience.  

I would put up a wall on the dotted line,carpet the floor, install wall over the concrete, install a ceiling.  This can be drywall.  Some install acoustic insulation in the wall and ceiling.  Drywall does not completely stop sound waves by the way.  I think the 29 ft depth is OK assuming your speakers will play loud enough. 

Placement of speakers can be done using the Vandersteen method.  It is on their website.  Otherwise, place them about as far apart as you are sitting back in the room.  You might have to toe them in.  Those look like pretty nice speakers and not too bad to place. 

I would call GIK acoustics for room treatment.  If you clap your hands now it would ring quite well I'm sure.  I worked with a recording engineer named Mike and he was super helpful.  This will probably be about $2K but well worth it.

As far as equipment goes you have a good amp.  You could set up the following:  streamer to dac to amp.  A preamp is not needed unless you want to play CD, tuner or phono.  I use volume in my streamer app.  Some DAC also have volume but I prefer to leave them turned all the way up and use the streamer app.  I think the Parasound is a Class D amp but not sure.  If so, you could try a Class AB amp.  You do need good power to properly drive those speakers.

Equipment choices:  A Bluesound Node 2i is a good streamer.  $550.  If you want more expensive make sure it has a good app that works with your streaming service which is 20 a month.  The DAC is "OK" in the Bluesound so I added a DAC.  Choices include Topping, Denafrips, Benchmark, Orchid, MHDT, Schiit to name a few.  You didn't mention a dollar limit so you can buy integrated amps with streamers and DAC now.  I prefer separates. 

Subs:  Regardless of what your speaker specs say, they will sound better with subs.  However, the subs have to be properly integrated with the system.  This is why multiple subs are often used.  It helps eliminate standing waves.  Your room treatments are also helpful in good bass response.  I recommend crossing the sub over at 80-100Hz.  I would call Audiokinesis.  You can get 2 subs for $1600 and 4 for about $3200.  It includes an amp.  If you like messing around you can buy a DSP and mike and try to get rid of all the acoustic problems but when I got all the treatments and placement of speakers/subs right the benefit from the DSP wasn't worth it IMO. 

tk21

Good points. I was kind of assuming that with specific dimensions and specific materials, the basement room itself would become acoustically predictable. But maybe not. And while I did place blame on the wife, it’s more that we now have our first toddler in the mix, and I’m frankly as worried about the speakers sitting out from the wall as she is about the ‘look’. But maybe different speakers will act differently in the room and allow placement closer to the rear wall. Not sure.

corelli

Thanks for the design advice – that’s exactly the kind of details I was looking for – I want to “do it right from the start” and there’s always something you don’t think of, so I appreciate you sharing your experience. 

daledeee1

Thank you for taking the time to offer so much insight! There’s enough concensus here that a streamer to a DAC to the Parasound is the way to go for now…(I'll probably get a separate 5 channel amp for upstairs). I’ll research your suggestions and see what might work best for me. Much appreciated!

My system Is a basement setup.  It took some playing around with room treatments to get it dialed in.  
I have a Marantz 8805 and I agree with everyone else. The 8805 is excellent at what it does, home theater but at the end of the day I listen to music as much or more than movies and I am going to get a dedicated 2 channel system.