I underestimated the impact a new cartridge would have

Many in the community learned long ago to not forget how important the cartridge is in the overall musical presentation.  I am not saying I thought it didn't matter, but I was very pleasantly shocked in my recent upgrade.  With anything in life there is the law of diminishing returns.  As a frugal audiophile who primarily purchases used equipment I am looking for that sweet spot to put the brakes on for upgrades.  With all the extra time lately to enjoy the stereo I have really been investing in upgrades.  My table is the Rega RP6.  I am very happy with this table but was ready to try a new cartridge.  I have only had used cartridges for my 15 year vinyl life.  The original MM on my first table, an 80's model Planar 2.  I bought the RP6 used so the Exact 2 was original and used.  I later picked up a used Sumiko Blue Point #2.  This was a somewhat lateral move....sounded nice but didn't impress that much.  Later I took a chance on a Goldring Eroica LX that had the Soundsmith sapphire retip service.  This was a significant upgrade over the Blue Point.  I had that for about 3 years.  Our good friend on here, Kron's amazing deals had me very excited to make a move.  One of my audiophile friends recommended the BENZ so I picked up the SM as I have a tube phono stage.  Right out of the box it blew me away!  The soundstage became 3-dimensional.  The lead vocalists all took a step forward and the voices are so precise.  The overall soundstage is more detailed with all instruments and backup vocalists  more precise.  The overall dynamics of the sound improved across all frequencies.  It was by FAR the best $800 I have ever spent on my system.  I have considered buying another one just to store away as I will likely need it one day.  Of course it also makes me wonder is there something even better???  Of course there is, but finding it is the challenge.  No idea if this cartridge offers this result in any system or if it just happens to like ARC tube gear.  Regardless....my point of this thread is to encourage vinyl lovers that have an old cartridge that has kind of been forgotten, to do some research and consider an upgrade.  Happy listening!
Dana
dhite71
I recently upgraded my cart on my TT. I had a Dynavector 20XL2L and over a month ago my dealer installed a Dynavector Karat 17DX. This was a big move up. Detail much more defined. Surface noise non existent. Almost like a tape recording. I finally feel I'm getting the absolute best out of my TT. 
"I started out in the 1960s and ’70s with MM cartridges including a top of the line Shure V-15 

@kayleerex1 

V15 wasn’t even a top of the line from Shure :)

Top of the line is Shure ULTRA 500 Series"

Ultra series Shures were introduced in the '80's.  In the '60's and '70's the V15 series, in its many iterations, was the top of the line Shure - as kayleerex1 alluded to.
Glad you've found something that brings excitement and re-spark that audio flame. I'm also a Benz SM user and very much enjoy my SM, it is a great all around cart and one that I play very frequently. Get as many years out of it as you can until you get that itch to try something else, different and better cartridges still awaits.
@mijostyn,

“My best advice unless you are filthy rich is, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your Benz and stay where you are until it shows signs of wear then do your educated crap shoot again.”

That’s some sage advice their. I also experienced the special sounds of the Benz cartridges; LP, Ruby Z, and LPS. Each of these are wonderful sounding, but, they have turned into rare earth items in the last few year’s, and the prices have risen dramatically. They have been my own benchmark for what I liked in musical qualities in an MC cartridge. 
Also, as mentioned by MillerCarbon, technology advances over the years and newer products incorporating those advances equates to a gold rush of great cartridges for anyone’s budget and tastes. Trust me, and as others have stated, only your ears will let you know how good anything sounds on your system and in your room. Don’t be fooled by the bling or latest fashion statement in this hobby. Your apt to be frustrated and aggravated if you don’t choose wisely. Enjoy the Benz and music like your sipping Blue Label...nice and slowly.

Auf Deutsche “genießen.”