"Bridge Over Trouble Water" sounds artificial

During the pandemic I've been upgrading my sound system.  I used to enjoy Simon & Garfunkel, "Bridge Over Trouble Water".  With my upgraded equipment the hi resolution audio sounds very synthetic, with one track on top of another, not like real music at all.  The voices are doubled and violins just layered on top.  On my same system, I played a live concert of Andre Previn playing Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue".  It sounded real and beautiful, like a live performance.  Am I doing something wrong?
aeschwartz
IMO - it's always sounded over produced to me. I think it sounds best on car radios or smaller, lesser systems.  The LP might be a different story, IDK.
This could be a longshot, but I had it happen to me.  If you are using a video receiver or a multi-disk player that does its own decoding, it could be an obscure problem like this.

I recently reset the settings on my Oppo 105 universal disk player.  In so doing, I chose the stereo settings since I am only using a stereo rig, but among the other settings I used neo 6 downmix settings.  The first disk I put on was a james taylor recording that was recorded in multi-channel SACD.  Just as you described there was a second slightly delayed and very electric sound on top of the stereo sound.  I tried another strictly CD recording .... nothing, just normal.  So I went back into the Oppo and illiminated the neo 6 downmix.  That did the trick.  As I said, a pretty esoteric thing but if nothing else seems to work .......
Nothing wrong at all....
Hi Res sucks the "Secret Sauce" right out of the listening experience.  Some material sounds "impressive" but does it Jam like the way especially that song was originally recorded?
Absolutely not.
Hi Res Audio is the equivalent that Handy Cam TV eperience.

Impressive audio but no soul.

Bridge over Troubled Water sounds better on an old  AC Delco car radio than a high res system.
My feeling is we can upgrade our equipment to the point where the music we love is no longer listenable. At that point it's time to step away and evaluate your goals for your system. No one would be impressed with my 25 year old system but I can pull any album and just enjoy without evaluating the sound.
BOTW Reeks with Reverb!!!  They were recording it for its intended playback venue...AM Radio 📻 It’s a garbage recording...live is the only way to hear it properly.