Shipping. Hard Lesson.

I'm selling some high end audio gear for the estate of a relative who passed away. I've never done this before. I'm using C's List, eBay and A'gon. It has been a lot of work and not a lot of fun.

Tons of scammers on C's list but excellent experience selling to a local audiophile.

Got a sale pending here at A'gon. Not too bad.

One good experience on eBay.

But then the Bryston 9B SST2 amp sold on eBay. I had actually about decided to purchase it myself when it sold via eBay. Super nice, experienced buyer.

Took the amp to UPS. It weighs 65 pounds. Asked them to double box and was ready to pay the price but the clerk convinced me that there was no need. They would wrap it well and the box she chose was supposed to handle 85 pounds.

Well, it gets to the buyer and he sends me a picture and it looks like the box has rolled down a mountain. The handles are broken off of the amp and it is dinged all up. Have no idea if it works or not. I'm not sure double boxing would have mattered in this case.

We insured it for the price paid. Buyer was very understanding but disappointed of course. I will get paid (by UPS) what I was going to get paid anyway but both the buyer and I commiserated over a fine piece of equipment destroyed. Or at least marred.

Anyway, sorry about the long sad sop story but I will probably have other gear to ship in the near future possible even the gorgeous Aerial Acoustics 5Ts which, even thought they are bookshelf speakers, are large and heavy.

So all of this is basically to ask: Who do you use for shipping large heavy delicate audio gear?
n80
I certainly would not mark it "High Value Item"
That just makes it more susceptible to Disappear ......Forever !!
as far as UPS being harder on stuff, ... not true.
Depending on who you ask, you will get some swearing that Fedex is  worse.  Some others say they would never ship UPS that they are the worst ever
Yes Fed-X is better than UPS and I’m a full blown UNION man... Fed-X is not (local anyways), BUT they seem to handle the package BETTER.. I have always had FASTER service from UPS. UPS is the roughest of ALL. US mail is the actual best for me. USPS there is a pickup convenience, missing. Fed X was the best when it came to shipping from US to Germany or Visa Versa.

Yes tough lesson to learn, but you did. Pack your own stuff. I know you can do a better job than a shipper... Look at some of the manufactures. They actually have packing instructions in the manuel. Mcintosh does.. Good proven packing way...

Again, sure wished it wouldn’t have happened..

Insurance sure doesn’t pay for your time, but if they packed it, they bought it...NO doubt..

Respectfully
Its a gamble on who (Im talking individuals)is involved on shifting your gear.There is no excuse for this sort of damage, its just numbskulls who have no idea on how to do their job.I worked in a freight company and saw people dropping boxes labelled fragile for a joke.Until someone decides to audit the care taken this will continue.
Agree, units must be packaged very well according to their size and weight. Double-boxed, ideally with cushion between the boxes, and always tight. I received an ATI amp once wrapped in bubble and loose in a single box - bent rack-mount ears and ding in the faceplate. Insufficient packing by an eBay seller - unecessary travesty.
Unsettling post as I prepare to ship an amp back for repair...

In my case the manufacturer recommended UPS, they also stated that they have the original double box with packing material if you no longer have yours but I always keep mine.

My first rule if it is same state or one over I will drive it, which is very well what I may do with this amp though it is two states.

If I have to ship I do as others have noted, double - triple box, gratuitous packing material inside, tape every single corner and seam, more tape going width and across on top and bottom.
Got my taping skills from my Dad, it usually takes longer to open his package then it does for him to pack it and drive it to UPS.

Yes, pack it as though they are going to treat it like HDS in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Because they will kick your amp down the hall like a soccer ball.

Will