NAS with RAID for streaming to Sonos Connect

Hi all,

My music library currently resides on a USB external HDD connected to my laptop.   If I reboot my laptop, or connect to a customer VPN (or my own company's VPN), the external HDD loses connectivity to SONOS of course.   Also my home office is farther away from the wifi router than optimal, and I need a better solution.

So I want to change to a dedicated NAS that will always be available to my SONOS Connect (which outputs via coax interface to my preamp >> booksheld speakers) and SONOS Play speakers.

With that in mind, an somebody recommend a simple home-use NAS with RAID?      We really don't watch movies,  and my music library is currently less than 1TB, but will grow in the future most likely, so a smaller, two-drive NAS should suffice, unless somebody has another suggestion.

I'm looking for something that I can buy in one shot with HDDs loaded, even if the base unit comes empty, I want to get everything from the same vendor in the same purchase if that makes sense.    I don't want to do excessive fiddling with it to get it to work.  It will sit on or under the bookshelves and attach (I hope) directly to the router.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Zwicky
Richmond VA
ezwicky
flrun
... RAID is not really meant for backup? RAID is the definition of backup ...
RAID is for protection against HD failure, it's not intended for backups. For example, RAID won't help you if your system becomes infected with malware, or if you lose a file to human error.
Thanks everybody.     I ordered this one a few minutes ago.    I'll attach my 4TB external USB HDD to it and make regular backups.

Synology DiskStation 4TB DS118 1-Bay NAS Enclosure Kit with Seagate NAS Drives (1 x 4TB)

I appreciate the advice, I think this will be sufficient for my current and future needs.

Eric
Kind of splitting hairs it is and it isn't. It is not a backup solution like backup software but in a way it is a backup in the sense that if you have Raid 1, 5, 10 then you have redundancy. You can lose 1, 2, 3 hard drives and still have all your data.  To me thats a backup.
It is protection against data loss.

I consider the Raid on my servers to be the first part of my backup process, after that it is the backup software and NAS, then offsite backups.

I should have said something like the beginning of or integral part of the backup process instead of, definition of backup.
Eric,

Good deal. It is only 1 drive but the external connected to it will give you hard drive redundancy. The Synology software has a feature that will see the external HD and automatically backup to it.

Check out all the built in apps it has, you may find ones you can use.
Thanks flrun24.    My setup (and file storage) are pretty basic.   My work laptop files get automatically backed up to my company's cloud (and every time I make a change to any document locally it syncs with the cloud), and my wife and I really don't have a whole lot else that matters to us except for photos, which will also be stored to the NAS and backed up to the external HDD.

Good to know I've ordered something that will be useful.   The main driver for thinking about this was the fact that when my laptop is off or I'm connnected to a VPN, the external HDD becomes disconnected from the SONOS Connect streamer.     Now I will have a dedicated storage, always-on, and sitting within a couple feet from the streamer.

Thanks again,

Eric