Arcam FMJ CD33 vs Cary 306/200

Does anyone have an opinion of the sound of the Arcam FMJ CD33 vs Cary 306/200? My system is ever-evolving, much like many of yours, so going through the list of my current equipment may not be relevant.
However, my taste in music and preference for type of sound I look for does not change. I am a Jazz and Rock aficionado. I tend to value equipment that excels in imaging and soundstaging, while retaining the ability to deliver seemingly endless dynamics and tons of slam.
Given a budget of approximately $2,000, I am also not limiting myself to the two players in question. Perhaps a CD player with an exceptional volume control, negating the need for a preamp, may also be considered - an alternative most appealing. All opinions are welcome and will be respected, of course.
jaylow
Have heard Cary players at Deja Vu audio with sweet results; and Arcam at Sound Images with equal sweetness! Very tough decision! For me the nod would go to the Arcam! I purchased the CD73 which is upgradeable to the 82 and 92 models - and really does a great job on the entire frequency spectrum! The FMJ is the upper end model that will do the finesse thing better as well as add more weight to the presentation. To me - there is more imaging with the Arcam, but a tad bit more palpability with the Cary.

Hope this helps
Studio1
I purchased a Camelot Uther IV DAC with analog volume control several year ago and haven't looked back. I have used it direct (no pre amp) into a pass labs ALEPH 5 and Rogue Audio M150 with great success. I highly recommend the IV which uses the anagram chip for upsampling. I have seen them used on audiogon for around $1,400. The Uther III was reviewed in Stereophile several years ago and was rate class A.

Good luck
I second the suggestion of a used Ikemi. I have heard the FMJ CD33 and like it very much at its price point. But for my ears at least, the Ikemi is in a different league entirely. I will say the Ikemi is significantly more laid back than the Arcam, if that is an issue for you.