Legacy Wavelet as Preamp/DAC/DSP vs just DSP

I am upgrading from a Legacy Focus SE to a Legacy Aeris and Wavelet system. Many folks tend to use the Wavelet as an all in one and end up walking away from thei preamp and DAC separates. I’m skeptical of doing that, as I love my PS Audio Directstream DAC and Modwright LS 36.5 DM preamp. I can’t imagine the Wavelet would beat those.

I’d love to hear others’ journeys with the Wavelet. Did you find it bested your preamp and DAC? Did you end up using it just for your DSP? What preamp, DAC and cables did you use it with, and what did the A/B tests reveal?

Also, has anyone used it only to process the bass section only and used the rest of the output straight from the preamp? Is that even possible?
Thanks for sharing. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xblisshifi
I have the legacy Valors and the Wavelet - the wavelet replaced a very expensive $20k plus preamp and DAC - I was VERY hesitant to even try the wavelet alone...but I blew a fuse in my DAC and thought - ok, what have I got to lose...and ended going with the wavelet as preamp and DAC after extensive listening...

An audiophile friend who thought my DAC and preamp was one of the most analog sounding setups couldn't believe it. He came over for a listen and was very surprised. So was I, but to have really good sound and make a couple of bucks, what the heck...

The preamp did have an amazing phone stage - but I am now full hi rez and its tough to beat...analog is fun though and every now and then miss a spin...

One note - the Valor's are extremely revealing - and it took a while to dial in the system even with the adjustable wavelet. the wavelet helped immensly during this process, but cords, cables, the room, tweaking, etc. everything matters....I have the system dialed in really well right now. very happy - 

Feel free to reach out PM 

I did go with an outboard power supply for the wavelet, which seemed to help. 
@wisper thanks for posting your experience it was helpful to Read when I was evaluating the Wavelet.

I’ve been silent on this thread for a while, but I wanted to let my impressions settle in for a while. I did receive the Aeris and Wavelet, and i spent a lot of time configuring them. That said, regardless of what I did, I could always hear the DSP in the chain. Maybe it’s just that I like a slightly colored sound with 2nd order harmonics, especially as I’m using 50W SET amps to power the mids and highs of the speaker. Whatever I did through the Bohmer room correction, it would just take away the decay and depth, and it would feel a bit too clinical for me. I tried for days, but I couldn’t get a holographic AND full/organic sound with the Wavelet.

Not sure how it came to be this way, but instead I went back to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC going into a ModWright LS-36.5 DM to my 50W Cary mono blocks into the speakers while going balanced pre out right into the speaker’s internal amps and the gain matching is coincidentally incredible, the sound is organic, resolving, and holographic. It was meant to be. I tried other spare amps ranging from 30-140wpc and it seems like 50wpc up top is the perfect match for the 500wpc powering the woofers - otherwise one section was always louder than the other. I decided to sell the Wavelet as a result and I haven’t looked back since. I know it sounds nuts, but I swear it sounds incredible, and I don’t intend to upgrade or sell these speakers, probably ever.

In full disclosure, I do also have a well-treated room - had I not had any of the room treatment, I’m sure the Wavelet would do wonders addressing reflections as well.
On another note... What did you do with your pair of Focus SE?

I'm currently looking for a used pair .

I did go with an outboard power supply for the wavelet, which seemed to help."
Curious about this. I have a Wavelet now with my Aeris. But I am boxing it up this weekend as part of moving up to the Valor. I assume you mean you replaced the Wavelet’s already-outboard in-line switching PSU with a linear supply? Which one, and where did you source your cable? I’ve been thinking about trying this with a spare Keces I have and a cable I have yet to locate. Any advice appreciated.
FWIW, for anyone else interested in going with an outboard linear PSU for the Wavelet, here are some options I have found:

1. Keces P8 PSU plus custom umbilical made by Ghent Audio. Ghent makes excellent cables, and he is fabbing one for me with a 2.5mm tip on one end for the Keces, and a 5-pin Neutrik XLR on the other for the Wavelet. We’ll see how that works; I like Keces, and have good success with them powering a number of devices.

2. Plixir Power Elite BDC, with custom umbilical cord. James Soh there is very helpful. I’ve been looking forward to trying a Plixir product, and while it’s not the balanced power supply I thought I would first try, this is a good start. Their products have received some very nice reviews. James features several use-case-specific versions of the BDC on his website, and I have suggested he list one for the Wavelet as well. Given our hobby’s obsession with improving every last detail of a system, I would not be surprised to find other Wavelet owners interested. And being able to source this option from one vendor, as opposed to two, might be advantageous.

3. HDPlex 300W PSU plus a custom umbilical made by Revelation Audio Labs. This is the combo in zephyr24069’s system. Brad Vojtech of Revelation is superb to work with. Some—though probably no one here—might find his cable is a tad pricey at $349 for 1.5m. Unfortunately, I have never been able to purchase an HDPlex PSU, though I have tried at least 5 times over the past couple of years. They have always been out of stock, and when they have become available, I have already found other solutions.
Anyway, I hope this helps.