Went from brilliant to distortion

I'm wishing for a spare phono preamp. 

I recently purchased a Rega P10. My wife and I have been amazed at the amount of information this table draws out of our old vinyl collection. On well recorded vinyl it's jaw dropping. I couldn't be more pleased witrh the P10's performance.

Now all of a sudden my music is distorted. Distortion in the form of noise surrounding the music. It's bad. Unlistenable. 
I had a made a change in that my Rogue Audio Ares formally fed my Lindemann Musicbook DSD used as a preamp to feed my amplifers and it all worked brilliantly. A few days ago I built a system in our den stealing the Lindemann and using our NAD M17/V2 as a preamp instead. That's when music went south. I thought that odd as the NAD is performing well in its own domain, as a digital streamer and SSP. 

I checked the tubes on the Ares but noted that both channels are distorted. Can't have 2 tube failures identically in left right channels right? OK, maybe the analog input on the NAD went south so I moved to another analog in to no help. Well, it was working perfectly through the Lindemann so I carried my vinyl setup to the den and reconnected to the Lindemann. Same distortion. 

Unless I'm missing something this leaves a problem with the Rogue Ares not related to a tube or a problem with the Apheta 3 cartridge which is nearly new. 

Anyone have an insight?
Thanks
128x128desalvo55
Ya see. No longer have I posted than lewm provided me with more knowledge regarding my phono pre than I knew over the years I've owned it.

You are correct in that the ECC802's are positioned toward the back of the chassis and yes, near to the output jacks. They had decidedly didn't play well compared to the now defunct 12AX7(s). They were recommended for this pre.

Thanks for the sharing of knowledge lewm. Now I need to locate a pair of proper tubes.
Still pondering a phonostage that compliments well with the P10.

Phono stage must be matched with CARTRIDGE, not with turntable.
What is the cartridge ? Apheta 3 ?

Buy yourself a JLTi phono stage (MM/MC) this is one of the best at very reasonable cost for the latest version made ($1025 with shipping). On the site the price is in AU$.

If you want clean sound look for SS phono stages (NO tubes, especially on low budget phono stages).

desalvo, I like your attitude.  Glad you figured it out.  Happy listening.