Best DAC for around $2,500 or less

What are your opinions on the best DAC for under $2,500?  Looking at the Schiit Yggy or many of recommend Denafrips so looking at their Pontus.  Any thoughts on how these two compare?  It might be misguided by I tend to think your getting a little more for your money with a direct to consumer company like Schiit and I know they are highly regarded for their DACS.  Anything else to look at in this price range? 
mvrooman1526
@Audioconnection,  any idea how the QB-9 Twenty upgrade sounds in comparison to the Codex?  I'm considering the Twenty upgrade to my Ayre that's worked flawlessly since 2009.
I love my Brooklyn. original not +,  plays well with my Innuos. Happy searching.

I received both the Schiit Bifrost 2 and Border Patrol SE-i recently to compare a couple of well reviewed DACs. I have to say that the Schiit was not very impressive to my ears so that is going to be returned. Sure it sounds nice but overall not a huge difference to what I was getting from my Bluesound Node 2i.

Now the Border Patrol on the other hand has been utterly AMAZING! The music this thing makes is beautiful and just so natural and lifelike. I already expected that by the reviews but I’m totally blown away. Also what is really impressive is the bass extension beats the pants off the Schiit which was unexpected. Imaging, soundstage, details are all there in a holographic way. I close my eyes and I’m there with the musicians. Instruments and vocals sound scary real and emotional treat. If there is one knock I have to give it would be the noise floor could be darker but I use a tube amp so that doesn’t help. Just keep in mind the BP does require a high input impedance to match well.

Other than that it has taken my system up a huge notch. Gary Dew is a straight shooter and had great communication throughout the ordering process. He hand builds and tests each one before it ships out.

Highly recommended DAC for anyone in the market!

-Alex

@rareace .. isn't the Border Patrol DAC twice the cost of the Bifrost? I think a comparison to the Gungnir Multibit would have been more meaningful (apples to apples). 
So in a direct comparison with a dac costing twice the Bifrost’s price, it held its own.   That’s a pretty good recommendation of the Bifrost.   If You’ve got a $2500 budget, as the thread title suggests, the Yggdrasil from Schiit is worth a listen.