Buying a new TT today

So I’m pretty hellbent on buying a new TT today! Or should I be?!?!? 
I started off kind of sour on vinyl several years back when I ignorantly bought a cheap TT that had a built in phono stage.... Talk about a disappointment! And a buzz kill for vinyl!
Anyway a year or so later I bought a Project Carbon Debut and it blew my mind!!!!  The step up in most aspects of the TT, carbon fiber tone arm/heavier plinth/much heavier platter/motor and remote position/better cartridge in a Ortofon m2red, along with the fact the it was now running through my Integrated’s Phono Stage was just such a leap in sound that I never expected, that now I’m looking for yet another leap like that again lol
Anyway, with pocket flush with cash and headed to two hi-fi shops I pause....
In my new price range, $2,000 or so, should I be looking for a new TT? Or a new cartridge for the TT I have ?
thoughts.
264win
I am more interested if the OP actually bought a TT ‘today’.

I also bought a Caron Debut a little over a year ago (my old Kenwood 2055 just had too many issues, some of which existing when I put it in storage years ago) and quickly equipped it with the acrylic platter and Grado Red cartridge. I’m happy with it and the Mani pre w/LPS . All have served their purpose of digging back into my old vinyl again, and also making a lot of ‘new’ LP purchases. Now I know vinyl will be back in my collection for many years to come, and that was ‘my question’ after moving to primarily CD’s since the mid-80’s. I also now know that I will replace it (all) at some point, but a fine table for the initial investment, and is serving me well. I have zero regrets.

Personally? I’ve been keeping my eye out for a used VPI Scout, or similar.
chakster,

"Pro-Ject is a joke like many audio components designed in the digital world of plastic toys."

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

Can't help it. It's my opinion. All those decks replaced some nice machines from the past and they are way different in many aspects. I much prefer old design, big and heavy direct drive turntable, in my opinion something wrong with modern designers of the turntables. My favorite is vintage Luxman PD-444 (made by Micro Seiki). 

I once helped a friend set up his Debut Carbon (Ortofon blue/ acrilyc platter) and it's an excellent deck. With the right record you'd never guess the total price. Just one level below the very best.

I did the same, mounted Stanton 881s on Pro-Ject instead or stock ortofom 2M and a friend was blown away. After a few years he's thinking about proper vintage direct drive instead that Pro-Ject. 

Yes, the Debut Carbon won't match the Technics for specs (but nothing else anywhere near the price will either) but it would still make an excellent first turntable for anyone (as would the Fluance, Rega or Audio Technica decks).

It's impossible with Belt Drive like that to compete with Technics DD motor, now way. But on the other hand i believe we're hearing a cartridge first. Technics is iconic turntable, the SL series is not the best, the SP series is the best. 

Wasn't the 1200G frighteningly close in performance to Michael Fremer's Continuum Caliburn deck?

Everyone can find it on youtube 

I was really wanting a PRO-JECT 6 PERSPEX SB. It looks great and I thought the mag suspension sounded pretty awesome. Problem was the salesman really wouldn't sell me one. He said the mag suspension was a joke and a mess and that although they had them in stock he wouldn't sell me one unless I really wanted that TT.  He suggested Rega's and VPI Cliffwood over Pro-Ject for TT's under $2K. Then the VPI Super Prime Scout caught my eye. It was at the top end of my budget but I bit. I have a Sound Smith Otello cart on the VPI, Threshold NS10 Preamp, Parasound HCA 800 Amp, and today just hooked up some Snell J3's (The Cherry on it all). I managed to cobble it all together for well under $6K. Man I love the VPI. I also loooove those Snell J3's. Anyway I am sorry if my enthusiasm for the VPI veered off topic. I just can't get over how great it all sounds.
So here's my quick  story.  Always digital -had a cd or bluray player in my home theater using the dac in a variety of pre/pro's.  I live just outside NYC and while hunkered down in quarantine in April I got the itch to go analog and vinyl and set it up in my living room. 

Did a bunch of research and bought the Rega 3,  Sutherland KC vibe phono and powered ELAC ARF51 tower speakers which are an all analog design.  Elegant. Simple. All analog. No digital. Started building a vinyl collection. Have about 10 so far.  It sounded so good and better than any CD set up I've ever owned. 

But Loved it TOO much I immediately got upgradist fever and swapped the 3 for the Rega 8, and swapped the vibe for surherlands 20/20 with sep power supply. 

Now I'm going thru it again and looking at a Linear tube audio w40 integrated amp, a rega 10, and salk  SS9.5 speakers.. 

Moral of the story this is a sickness and my advice is to get the best TT you can afford and then slowly build around it.