The Hardest Naturally Occurring Substance on Earth

Yep - You all know from grammar school that is the diamond, which incidentally is what is used to make the stylus of our turntable cartridges.  If it is so hard, and it is going up against some fairly soft vinyl, why do we worry about poor quality LPs damaging the cartridge or stylus?  Sure, I understand the cantilever, but the actual Stylus?  The old phrase for me is "Does Not Compute".   What are your thoughts and insights?
pgaulke60
I see what you did. Did anachronism help you with that? I seem to recall humor is not your strong suit. 😳
Heck no
Im all grown up now and managed it all on my own.
My psychiatrist is so proud of the new me!
But to back up to one of the OPs questions.
Who exactly is saying they are worried about poor quality records damaging their stylus?
Not sure as I have seen anybody say that and I know I definitely do not worry about it.
I give all my records a good us clean but that is about it, a few scratches or slight warp is not truly going to hurt anything apart from the SQ.
Just because something is extremely hard doesn't mean that a softer substance cant abrade it. When playing a record you have a single tiny piece of diamond traveling quite a distance just to get through one side of an LP, without doing the math I bet an LP may be at least a mile or better long. Add a little dirt in the groove and some non vinyl particles in the vinyl and it will very slowly lap the contact portions of the diamond.
On a microscopic level there may be all sorts of stuff in that vinyl from the manufacture of it. One of the last steps of raw vinyl production is to extrude it like spaghetti and chop it into small pellets. That is the form of raw vinyl that companies purchase. It gets unloaded into silos at the manufacturing plants and long screws pull it up from the bottom of the silo and feed it into heated extruders that feed the presses. All of the contact surfaces slowly wear and shed microscopic metal particles.
No where is this more evident than in a big commercial bakery as flour can be very abrasive. Mixing paddles and feed screws, all made from very tough stainless steel worn down till they are no longer effective. All that metal winds up in the food we consume but the levels are extremely small so it isn't a concern. I was shocked the first time I went into my favorite baker that makes snack foods. After talking to the machinist and realizing how slowly they do wear it didn't bother me.
I think the main culprit though is just dirt when it comes to stylus wear and the thousands of miles it gets dragged through the groove. 
By the way, how do you machine a diamond? With other diamonds of course. Crushed diamond is bonded together and formed into grinding wheels. The wheels are contoured with a diamond tipped dresser and used to grind your stylus to shape.

BillWojo