magnapans.7i and subs

so i am looking to ad in a couple subs. my magnapan dealer likes paradigm subs and has suggested the defiance x10 specifically. upon reading about this sub it is ported. i have always assumed sealed subs are suited better for 2 channel listening. just wondering if anyone has this setup or has experience with this particular sub
johnnyaa
I have the Magnepan LRS and two REL T5i and can assure you this is a wonderful and relatively inexpensive solution to deeper bass.  I would recommend monoblocks with this set up because it works well this way and what Magnepan designed with.  Bryston 7BSST2 would be dynamite but maybe overkill.  The mags do love power.  Now I have the LRS in another location with Bryston 4BSST with no subs.  The room is huge with an alcove behind the speakers and I must say the bass is acceptable in this room and with that amp.  The key to the REL T5i is twofold, it downfires, and at 8" won't go too deep to make blending less likely.
@turnbown, thanks for the additional REL info and correction. As everyone always mentions the "unique" REL high level connection, I assumed low level aren't provided. As they say about assuming..... ;-). Does the Speakon connector provide a better transfer than binding posts? A lot of guys who built the OB/Dipole Sub installed Speakon connectors.
Speakon connectors are great --they handle much higher currents than traditional bananas or spades.

bdp24
6,763 posts
06-21-2020 2:00pm
"@turnbown, thanks for the additional REL info and correction. As everyone always mentions the "unique" REL high level connection, I assumed low level aren't provided. As they say about assuming..... ;-). Does the Speakon connector provide a better transfer than binding posts? A lot of guys who built the OB/Dipole Sub installed Speakon connectors."

I don't think that the Speakon connector provides a better connection than binding posts but it does make connecting and disconnecting a breeze. Used in pro audio gear for that very reason.
To use the Speakon with the Rythmik/GR Research OB/Dipole Sub requires an additional connector in the signal path (the Speakon, of course), and two pair of speaker cable runs rather than one. Without the Speakon, the output of the Rythmik A370 plate amp goes straight to the first of the two woofers in each sub via one pair of speaker cables. With the Speakon, the output of the plate amp goes to the Speakon via the same cable (which is soldered onto the Speakon), the Speakon then connected to a second run of speaker cables to the woofer. What’s the point?