TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45

Hi Islandflyfisher,

What you are asking for if anyone compared their TRL SA14 with one of the DAC listed may be rare indeed. Your best bet is to re-read the thread again. There is no doubt in several minds on this thread that the $550 cost will transform your player to a very high level. I have heard the Benchmark but in a foreign system. I did hear an a-b comparison with and without, and I barely heard the improvement.

There are just too many who have experienced the change in their system compared to what they had before and if you are thinking that this is a high risk decision, don't worry its not since the mod has a full refund.

As for the TRL SA-14 comparison to the Denon 3910 mod player, its more a matter of money in your case. Unless its important to you that you have the 'best' modded player. You might want to check with APL or RAM since TRL does not mod the 3910 which is ultimately the only way you will know for sure.

Good luck
Post removed 
Island dude-

Glad that this thread is again serving its intent of providing information of possible value to forum members.

I have the modded TRL Marantz SA14. I cannot comment upon it's stock sound as I had my unit shipped directly to TRL for the mod.
I listen to mostly Redbook and only have a few SACD's.

Redbook on the modded SA14 sounds wonderful to me-as good or better on most CD's as my turntable setup which is pretty decent (I see we have the same Dynavector cartridge).
SACD is a step up on the recordings I do have.

As far as DACs or other digital I have had in my system, the modded SA14 is better in every way compared to what I have had-

Bel Canto 1.1
Cary 308
TRL modified Sony 595

The TRL Sony was a clear step up for me from the first two IMHO, but does not have the extension and resolution of the TRL SA14.

Others here may be able to comment upon the Redbook performance compared to modded universals. I do know that TRL is of the opinion FWIW, that the SACD/CD units they mod are typically better suited for dedicated 2 channel listening-even after modding if that is your main focus.

Certainly you will get many opinions and I am sure that some of the 3910 or other universal mods are very very good by VSE, APL, etc.

As you have noticed, people seem to be passionate about what they actually own :)

You have a wonderful system.

Good luck in your search.
Island, I agree that the SA14 is a very nice player. It was my reference for a couple of years. It will improve greatly with the right power cord such as a Shunyata Python. A Sistrum SP-1 Platform made a huge difference, opening it up big time!

Almost all of my discs are red book, so that's the only format I really care about. I found that an Electrocompaniet ECD1 dac sounded much better than the SA14, and I used the Marantz as a transport for the dac for a while. I sold them both after hearing John Tucker's Exemplar 2900. IMHO the 2900 was better in every way. John's 3910 mod is even a bigger step forward and that is the best digital I have heard. I haven't heard them all, but the Exemplar 3910 on red book and sacd is unbelievable!

Benchmark, Shunyata and Sistrum will give you a 30 day trial and you can try them with your Marantz. Send them back if you don't like them and your only out shipping. I think they are all great values, and you can't go wrong with the return policy.
84Audo,

Very incitefull stuff. Thanks for sharing info on your experience with DAC-transport combo and how they compare to the stock SA-14. Your Exemplar 2900 mod sounds interesting. For info how much is the Tucker mod? He has a good reputation for making a nice product.

I wonder how the TRL SA-14 compares to a high quality turntable system. Anyone?