Best DAC for around $2,500 or less

What are your opinions on the best DAC for under $2,500?  Looking at the Schiit Yggy or many of recommend Denafrips so looking at their Pontus.  Any thoughts on how these two compare?  It might be misguided by I tend to think your getting a little more for your money with a direct to consumer company like Schiit and I know they are highly regarded for their DACS.  Anything else to look at in this price range? 
mvrooman1526
While I have no idea if it’s the “best” under $2500, I too have been mighty impressed by the RME ADI-2. It is really smooth and detailed and comes pretty damn close to my PS Audio DirectStream - the PS Audio is more analog sounding for sure, with better scale, but in other aspects I have to strain to hear the difference. It’s impressed me much more than the Ayre Codex I had a while back. Need to try it with a better power supply, I suspect it may help the bass and scale. Review forthcoming.
I agree wholeheartedly with jjss49 comments, Chord Qutest is the route to go. Whilst I am not familiar with some of the DAC's referred in this blog as I'm in UK, I undertook considerable testing with a number of DAC's some costing double the Qutest price tag and for me, it still came out on top. It also offers the sonic characteristics you are seeking because neutrality, timing. clarity, depth and space i.e. the same sonic characteristics of the Benchmark you refer are in abundance in the Qutest and whats more, it will save you some money. I've done some investigation in the last hour on other DAC's referred in this blog and nothing I have read changes my mind that Chord Qutest is the route to go. Don't take my word for it though, go test it against Benchmark's DAC2, Wyre4sound DAC-2v and others and if testing doesn't allow in current Covid-19 environment, buy the Qutest with confidence from a reputable & trusted dealer you know on the basis of home trial and if not convinced, return it.I bet you'll be throwing the box away within an hour.
The sound quality above a certain level - when all niceties which can mess up the sound are avoided - comes down to the DAC-chip(s).
Everything "Delta-Sigma" is internally upsampling, downsampling, interpolating and "improving" your signal.
The other way would be to have non-oversampling DAC chips, which are not "filtering" or otherwise "improving" your signal.
While many non-oversampling DACs use vintage chips - which can be very musical like the TDA1541 - METRUM ACOUSTIC developed their own modern non-oversampling chips which allow 24/382 "DXD" resolution.
Listening to 2L highres recordings in DXD resolution is quite something.
So my recomendation would be a Metrum Amethyst for +1 1k or the Metrum Jade which is a digital preamp with loudness control (without loosing resolution quality in the process).
I have the Amethyst and it is what a tube amp is to SS.
Not "in your face" but just realistic and relaxed - and with grunt when need be.