How Do You Live The Audiophile Life

I don’t really have the credentials to be on Audiogon. Kef Q150s and new NAD equipment that replaced my stalwart Arcam Solo. Maybe I can peek over the fence.
So I’ve have a question about the new equipment. I’m browsing the forums, looking for an answer. I know as much as about audio as anyone who isn’t an audiophile. But I was astonished at the number of brands I’d never heard of. And I know the price of the stuff I have heard of.
I’m in NYC. Maybe there’s five high-end dealers here. I’m guessing that number drops off quickly once you cross the Hudson.
This is a long winded way to ask how you live the audiophile life? How do you get access to this stuff? I’d want to hear something before dropping a car-like sum on it. Do you buy blind? Do you travel? Go to the industry shows? Help me, teach me, inform me.
I guess this question applies to speakers as well. Maybe more so. But I was in the amplifier section so . . .
paul6001
Lots of great advice here.  When you are reading about this stuff, put less emphasis on what is subjectively "best" and more on what types of gear/speakers suit your musical preferences, budget, and listening space best.
Once you assemble a system that makes you happy with your music, pause for awhile or even stop.  There is something to be said for being happy with the music and not sweating the direction of your fuses or whether your cables are the latest model.  I often enjoy listening to CDs in my car or playing Tidal on my outdoor system as much as listening to my main rig.
Wow! All I can say is Wow! MillerCarbon, you have a tape eraser from Radio Shack but, as you predicted, the rest was foreign to me. I can’t help but be impressed by the commitment it must have taken to build The System. Nor can I help but wonder about the man who possesses such commitment. I like the capitalization of The System throughout to distinguish it from the dross possessed by lesser mortals.
1. Read, Read and then Read. This helped to gain the knowledge to understand what I was listening for.
2. Listen, Listen and Listen. Practicing by listening to tracks that have been described in detailed reviews helped me become a better listener...even though I played music for years as a young man.
3. Purchase quality used gear that has been well treated. This enables you to punch far above budget.
4. For me, waiting until after the divorce to buy quality gear. Best system protection available. ;)

wolf_garcia,

"To live the "audiophile life" you must own a smoking jacket and those Gucci loafers, at least two sporty cars, a stash of various whiskeys, and be prepared to spend hours alone admiring your belongings and understanding what Estoril Blue is."

Yes, and you will find plenty of good examples at most shows. There's normally also an impressive turnout in the car park.

Still, you get a good social mix of people, ok mostly men, all coming from different backgrounds, converging for a common purpose.

The hardest part is often breaking the ice with people, but each one will have a story.
Do you have to show the dealers the loafers before they will sell to you?

What is Estoril Blue?