Magico Q3's at Goodwin's High End

Just a quick note to say that Goodwin's High End (in Boston) along with Alon Wolf presented a demonstration of the Magico Q3's yesterday.

As usual, it was a class act by Goodwin's and a real treat overall. Mr. Wolf fielded a number of questions about the speakers (and Magico's approach to design) and his detailed responses were fascinating.

The Q3's sounded spectacular. They were setup in Goodwin's huge listening room (20x30x11) and they were positioned quite wide apart and deep into the room (almost halfway). I was transported to the symphony hall with a few tracks - like nothing I've ever experienced before. They were driven with very expensive electronics, inluding huge Boulder amps that were 1000w each (if I'm not mistaken) to compensate for the size of the room.

The Q3 is a modest size floorstanding loudspeaker, but it weighs 250lbs! Like the Q5 (if you've ever heard it) it is very clean and neutral sounding. Definitely a speaker that lets you listen into the music rather than wow you with a forward presentation. Besides classical, we heard some jazz, some instrumental and a cut from Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat that was stunning. These speakers don't call any attention to themselves. They were so coherent and produced such an impressive soundstage that it didn't feel like they were the source of the sound. Jennifer's voice had no artifacts (sibilence, etc) that it was like she was standing there. I feel I finally heard how the record was supposed to sound.

Anyways, I'm not trying to do a proper review here, but I did want to thank Goodwins and Magico for the opportunity and I thought I would share my initial impresssions.

Would love to know what other folks at the presentation(s) thought.
madfloyd
I too attend the Q3 demo. It was well done and the speakers were very well presented. The amazing resolving qualities of the Q3s were most impressive. The graphic differences between the 3 formats, cd/hirez/vinyl was stunning. Truly a testament to the accuracy of the loudspeakers.
I was at the 2:00 pm Q3 demo. The set up was superb as would be expected from Goodwins. It was indeed in their large room but that was dictated by needing to accomodate large groups of people. we had 15 people in the 2:oo pm group and we did something interesting but effective. After each song we shifted 2 seats clockwise so that everyone had a chance to be in the front row center or near the center, as well as the back. Obviously the resolution increased when you were not listening through other people. It didn't really take long to hear that this speaker is extremely good. The pitch definition, speed and weight of the bass was the biggest surprise to me from these speakers in this room. I thought it was perfect. The bass however did not stick out. Everything was as it should be. The coherency all around was literally perfect. We listened to acoustic instruments, vocals, large scale orchestral pieces and jazz. I heard the recordings and not the speakers. very neutral and transparent to my ears.

It was interesting to hear us go from redbook CD to high Rez format to vinyl. All the differences of the formats were audible. Dynamics from the speaker were excellant too. We heard a 45 rpm direct to disc vinyl recording of a drum kit that was life like with unbelievable explosive hits to the snare. All in all very impressive. Best demo I have heard so far. Kudos to Alon Wolf and to Goodwins.
Had the date circled but had to cancel in the last minute. Looks like I have to schedule a demo very soon.
Goodwin's has one of the best showrooms in the world, and some great sales people who take the time. I'm glad they had a terrific demonstration. I didn't get to hear the Q3, but I did hear the Q5 there.