Your One Bullet Point Solution; Electrical Upgrade

Two points; I am well aware of many threads on topic of electrical service. I do not have time to read hundreds of posts, but wish to distill them down with your help. I will also post this on the Tech Forum to get wider response:

Doing service upgrade to 100A. I plan on adding a whole house surge protector, type 2, add on to panel after the service enters house. Panel to the HT/Music room is not under consideration, as it was all updated when the room was built.

If anyone has important info/contradictory info on that plan, please inform.

What I would like to know in shorthand form from the community from those who have Done upgrades:

1. Recommended Panel? Brand, any difference?

2. I currently have sub-panel for HT/Audio room which I’m tempted to keep. I understand that this is a good move.
Electrician can sum all into a larger panel, but I have reservations. Comments/recommendations?

3. Particular wiring/breakers for panel/sub-panel for audio use?

4. Particular surge protector recommend.

As the topic has been covered much, notation form comments are welcome. Thanks for helping!

douglas_schroeder
Surge protection will likely be ineffective if for any reason the earthing is deficient.
As an electrical engineer that deals with noise and earthing on industrial plant to a high level of detail, I really implore you to over engineer the earthing, or do not bother to proceed.

Earthing as a quality reveals itself in two ways - continuously on a day to day basis with noise, and intermittently/rarely under fault, surge or other unusual conditions, sometimes with catastrophic or even lethal outcomes.

If nothing else I imagine you have many much loved items of equipment. Regardless of any value, it would be a shame to learn that a better earth may have protected them or a family member the hard way.

Polesandzeroseros 
You are suggesting that the earthing which has served this home for 60 years+ is insufficient and or deficient?
Please specify your recommendation. 
Well straight away if you are going from capacity of 60 to 100 or 200 amps there may be more imbalanced current to dispose of.
Additional wiring may require an extension of the earthing network for the house, the entire system should be considered rather than just a tack on.

Also, if the earthing system (stakes, wires etc) has been there for 60 years I can guarantee you that corrosion will have had some impact and it may be substandard right now.
If you live in an area near the ocean there will be problems and anywhere with even a hint of geothermal activity, H2S eats copper for breakfast.

Post removed 
polesandzeros
... if you are going from capacity of 60 to 100 or 200 amps there may be more imbalanced current to dispose of ...
This doesn’t make sense. Current isn’t disposed - it always flows back to the source. The ground rods are just safety grounds.
Additional wiring may require an extension of the earthing network for the house ...
Why? If the ground rods and connections are satisfactory now, how would "additional wiring" compromise them?