TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Hi Gang,

I heard a Marantz SA-14 version 1 that a friend had sent off for mods. Stock the unit sounded okay, but had a narrow and shallow sound stage. Frequency extension stock wasn't bad, there was suitable bass and highs. It wasn't so much what the stock unit did 'wrong" for my friend, but rather how much better it could be once modified that determined his purchase of a $550 TRL mod.

First impressions after modification; Dan's SA-14 had a wider and deeper stage, it lost the digital glare, edge or whatever you want to call it, and it also had tighter bass. The unit had around 150 to 170 hours on it the last time I'd heard it and it definitely had broken in and relaxed a little further. Detail and micro dynamics are much improved, allowing you to hear 'into" the recording a little more. Dynamics also greatly improved. Dan mentioned to me that he has heard many minute details on his favorite recordings that he had not heard before, which concurs with my impressions.

I am waiting for the Marantz SA-11's to hit port and will have TRL modify one after a short break in period (remaining stock), so I'll really know what the TRL mod offered.

In as far as comparisons to the TRL $30K player/DAC, the TRL is unmatched. I have NEVER heard anything close, however the TRL mods offer a great taste and has the same 'house sound' as others have mentioned. I can't afford the $30K TRL combo. I can afford their $550 mod. I don't understand how Paul's making reference to the player should be seen as anything other than it is ... HIS reference, just as the huge $140k GT-800's are HIS refernce amps too.

Folks need to remember that Paul isn't some guy that quit his day job and cleaned out his garage to become a modifier. He is an established manufacturer of 15 years known for building some of the finest and best sounding amplifiers in the World, of which I am proud to say that I own.

As far as the SA-14 versus the SA-11, I'll have to wait and hear for myself. The new SA-11's are going to be within 2 to 4 weeks?, who knows? I'll share my opinion, for what it is worth, once I hear the 2 side by side.

Many thanks to all for sharing your thoughts about the TRL mod and Marantz players. While I am not a big fan of modders I do respect them. They have given all of us an opportunity to "buy" superior sound for a sensible cost.

In the old days these changes were earmarked in different models with higher and higher price tags. The minute I had a model that was highly rated by the reviewers it was superseded by another. I don't know about you fellows but I got tired of the merry go around.

Now I use caution in all my purchases. I pay attention to the designer or company and its reputation. Marantz has great stock players and Paul is first class.

I look forward to hearing more about the TRL Marantz SA11.

Paul has commented that Marantz has a "house" sound that manifests itself due to some similar design principles that are used across many of their players. His mods revise what he feels are the errors they have made.

I am in the process of burning in a Marantz 9500. It has the latest Crystal dacs, an updated HDAM output stage, etc. etc. but I am hearing some glare which distracts from what would otherwise be a warm and reasonably smooth midrange. Others have commented that stock Marantz players do have glare. I have a disk on repeat to quickly break in the analog and digital outputs, and the glare seems less now, but if what I am hearing is characteristic of Marantz then I am comfortable with Paul's assertion.

By the way, I am quite sensitive to glare. For example, I was not satisfied with my Cary 303 as a standalone player because of glare and some HF hardness (it did make an excellent transport though!). I should also note that I have recently moved to a new home and have yet to put up acoustic treatments in the corners of my room, which in the past I have found to be very helpful at reducing HF echo/reflections.

I had exchanged emails with Paul and found him quite modest. In terms of performance when modded, he felt that the SA11 was a bit better than the SA14, which was in turn a good step ahead of the 2000ES, which was better than the 595. Note that there is a big jump in price from the 2000ES to the SA14 so build and parts quality must be a factor here.

What I like about TRL is that their mod has a more realistic and palatable price than other modders. It is less clear what exactly TRL does but maybe extensive / wholesale parts replacement is not necessarily critical? What is encouraging is that the owner of an APL modded 3910 (mods cost $3k) found the modded 595 to sound musical and engaging, though lacking in the last bit of detail and precision. If so, then it bodes well for what a TRL modded SA14 or SA11 would be capable of, but with the investment more on the underlying player than on the mod itself.
Jsala - Your point about Paul is excellent. Paul and I have exchanged several emails regarding the Sa-14 I have ordered. He is very modest in his praise of the mods he does. His customers however, according to all the threads, are not as modest as he is about his mods. Paul is very clear in delineating his opinion if his mods from model to model. The Sa-14 and SA 11 earn his highest praise. Seemingly, there is a corellation between the build quality of a machine, and how it will ultimately sound. This, i believe, boads well for those - like me - who are the crazy enough, to buy a unit without ever hearing it.
Paul also communicates extremely well. Never, have I gone 24 hrs. without him responding to my email. He usually responds within 6 hours. TRL seems to turn the machines around quickly as well - within a week! The mods are extremely cost effective as far as mods are concerned these days. $550 for a mod that will bring (hopefully) truly amazing music into a life - is worth it. Next week my Sa-14 will ship.
I just hope MY personal tastes are in line with how the unit will eventually sound. Based on our 'email discussions', Paul seems to think so. So far - he has earned my trust. I'm looking forward to getting it, burning it in for a few days, then giving it a listen. :-)
Yes, Paul and TRL have a longstanding positive reputation in the audio field and he is very conscious of maintaining that rep with each and every customer from the $550 digital mods to the multi-thousand dollar amps he makes. Everybody gets treated respectfully.
He truly knows music-especially from his live audio engineering and recording work, which gives him a background other modders simply do not have. We talk about his "reference" as the $30,000 TRL processor, but actual real live music is also one of their "references".

As an amateur musician/recording hack this is what really got me interested in TRL. They simply know what actual live music performances sound like. Isn't that what we all are seeking in some way? If you have ever heard any of the Fidelis and Diversity recordings - they are quite impressive.

Since getting these mods is often a leap of faith for the end user which cannot compare the units side by side, TRL is a company (and there certainly are other fine ones too) that engender confidence.

OldPet-

Let us know how it turns out for you! I am trying to make up my mind on what unit to have them mod next.