THRESHOLD S300

I would love to know what the difference is between the S300, the S300 (series 2) the S300E, etc. Also, can anyone suggest the best pre-amp to use with the S300? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
rbwinterlink
I run the S/300 with an Audio Research LS-2. It might be a good idea to have the S/300 checked - it's around 20 years old. Some caps might need replacing, the bias might need adjusting etc. No big deal the 300 is built as a tank, but some components do age.
I am most grateful to all who commented here. I do appreciate your great advice. It will be very useful to me as I look further into this awesome audio area. I cannot wait to move into my new digs and get everything set up and start listening to great music. Thanks much.
I've found s300e's that have balanced inputs but most don't. Anybody know if the XLR was a later addition to the s300e? I notice the used prices jump up for those as well. Or if there are any recommendations in the same price range (either older or newer) that had balanced inputs, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
any THRESHOLD is a present!
 Enjoy.

Years back, my friend worked for roadrunner records, 
 went in studio, threshold maps and B&t monitors.

Threshold is superior to most”
Hello, everyone! Im pretty late to the party but I just purchased my first Theshold amp. Iv been wanting one for 30 plus years after first hearing one on a pair of B&W 801s! I bought a S300 bit it does say optical bias on the tag! Anyway Im going playing fore while and then see about doing a recap on it! Its black which i herd is harder to find? Im located in SC i was wandering if anyone could give me a heads up were to take to or send to for a recap?? Im so glad I found this thread.

Thank you!