Want to experience tubed CDP?

I am curious to hear a tubed CDP in my system, and would like to pay the entry price of an Ah! or Jolida to demo one in my system. I just wonder if either of those will equally perform at the level of my Cairn, or should I be looking at an Audio Aero or Cary model?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
jh2os
Jh20s, Re tubes for the Jolida. Have some fun on the cheap by experimenting with new production tubes. The sound will be different and you can pick your own flavor. I would suggest that you try (my first choice) EI's which should give you much cleaner and smoother highs than the EH's - they are not over ripe in the bass and produce a more neutral sound. For a clearly different tonal response try the JJ Tesla for a much fuller bass response and bit more forward sound in the highs. Both are quite different from the EH's so you have clear choices - and they are cheap.
Joe, I saw that Geoff would be using your Granite 657 on May 21st in the invite, but unfortunately I will be in Vegas that weekend. Well, I guess it isn't that unfortunate. ;)

The Granite is on my list of players to listen to though. Hopefully another time?
Newbee, I do like the idea that with a tubed CDP you can 'voice' it to your personal preference, I am just wondering if I will gain all the things that the Cairn does so right with a simple tube change? Some of the shortcomings (or differences) seem insurmountable by simply changing tubes? But then again, what do I know, I am still new to this whole world of tubes! ;)
Jh2os, good to hear you took the plunge for a tubed CDP. Now comes best part: Playing around with tubes like Newbee suggested. I just started tube rolling in my Jolida amp: I now have five different sets of 12AX7, four different sets of 12AT7, and two sets of driver tubes. I am starting to think this is a little too much, but then nothing beats trying things yourself.

Start with some current production tubes in the Jolida (EI Gold, JJ, GE 5571). It will make a significant difference and you might just end up with what you are looking for.

Also a powercord change might make a big difference. Try a VH Flavor 4 etc.

Enjoy!

Rene
Rene, thanks for the suggestions. I am using a Signal Cable HC digital PC with the Cairn & Jolida. Is the VH a far superior cable? I've had good results with the Signal.