Merlin Master Bam Alert

My buddy just received his dual mono dual ops bam.The first one sold.He has VSM MXE's.Thought you would like to see his reaction:"There is an uncanny sense of realism.
I was listening in the dark with my eyes closed.
The sense of being in a concert hall was so great that my brain created a seemingly real visual image of where it thought it was.
After the piece ended I just shut the system down. I did not want to take a chance of diminishing the impact of what I had just experienced.
Quite an accomplishment."
I will be receiving my single ended Master Bam shortly and will report my findings in more detail.
128x128abrown
Hi Glory

For your information I still have the VSM-M which was upgraded from the SE back in 2001 by Merlin. While I have gone back and forth on doing further upgrades I can honestly say that over the past 10 years I have been tempted to change speakers only one time. Of course it would have cost me considerably more to do so but I think even Bobby might have forgiven me if he knew what that speaker was and at double the cost of his. He mentioned it to me many years ago as being one he admired. Even then I'm not sure what the end result would have been, and no, it isn't the Pearl mentioned below.

I was also at the NYC Stereophile show at the Hilton in 2002 and heard the Merlin/Joule combo for the first time at that show and objectively speaking ;^) found it among the best of show along with perhaps the Joseph Audio Pearls. But the problem I had with the Pearl room was it was a sit down demo with scheduled times. Playback was a Clearaudio tt and vinyl selection was the legendary 45 RPM of Louis Armstrong "St James Infirmiry" a truly jaw dropping recording. I bought a copy at the show. Great playback system, good speakers and a spectacular recording = a lot of buzz and resulting "best sound of show". Too controlled for my tastes but quite an enjoyable experience.

Having said that what was really refreshing about the Merlin room was the relaxed manner and the fact that Bobby would play anything and everything. It really gave you a good idea of what the speakers could do when properly set-up. Unfortunately I only had one day to try and see everything and couldn't spend more time there but I really wanted to. I'm sure you know what I'm saying. Since I already had the VSM and the Berning ZH-270, still do, my main objective at the time was to hear the differences between the Joule and Berning.

Well here it is almost 9 years later and while I haven't done any of the factory upgrades since I first converted from the VSM-SE to the Millenium I DO plan to. I for one have never felt an absolute compulsion to do so because I was so throughly enjoying the system and felt there were other areas that needed improvement, least of all the speakers as they always stepped up to positive changes.

The bottom line is that if you heard the speakers at the show and really liked them there is little reason to be concerned about upgrades and improvements, it will still be the same speaker. These upgrades are to refine what was from the beginning a great design. All you have to do is follow the advice of Bobby, you may not feel the need to worry about the latest upgrade, you'll probably be too busy enjoying the music.

P.S. Bobby, I hope all is well with you my friend.

Will
Thuan,

Have Bobby send your check back and resend it and see how long the wait will now be. Patience.
Dueland should proabably do a better job of giving Bobby accurate timelines for production so he can pass that on to his customers. I don't mind waiting 9 months if I am told 9 months, but I do mind if I am told 4 months. Why in the Restaurant business they are trained to tell you wait will be 30 minutes when they think it will be 15, but if they told you 5....same wait, different feeling. By the way, the Duelands are well waiting for, don't fret.
paul, they have been really good about their projections of shipping dates but things happen, shows, illnesses etc.
what we didn't realize is that so many would want this done and that has the waiting time long and there is nothing i can do because the parts a rare, handmade and they will only build so many at a time.
patience is what is needed and you will get something very special.
bobby
Hi Brian,
Base on your time line - My turn is in 2 months
Bobby, I understand your situation - I just post here for chit chat to kill time :-)
I agree with Paul on time line projection
Anyway, is that you Paul that try TAD Hibachi with your Merlin ? I just bought a pair to try out. Nowhere near the Fila. I hook them up with my Cary SLP05
Yield stronger bottom note, but smear top and mid range.
Anyone try with SET 300B or 845 ? I bought a Dared 845 to try but it was damage in transit before get to me, bummer!
How about Cary 300C ?
Thanks for all advices and responses
Best