Tonearm mount to the plinth vs arm board vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower

Hello,

I am rebuilding a Garrard 301 and looking for a plinth. I am planning to buy 3-4 tonearms to try. I would like to know which is the best way moving forward.

Is there a difference between mounting a tonearm directly on a solid plinth vs arm board (same vs different materials) vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower. 

Thanks
Nanda
kanchi647
What weight did your granite base come in at?
The base weighs 18 lbs (8.1 Kg)......
The base weighs 18 lbs (8.1 Kg)......
But a SOLID GRANITE CRADLE, whilst not as heavy as cast
metal.....was GOOD ENOUGH and relatively affordable
Really - mines 68kg, and utilises SPZ which dissipates any energy between 4 and 100hz internally at a molecular level, but is completely rigid.

Granite rings like a bell due to its crystalline structure. I would not use it in a turntable. 
utilises SPZ which dissipates any energy between 4 and 100hz internally at a molecular level, but is completely rigid.
Nice story....🤗
Unfortunately....a fairytale 🤥
Not only will 4Hz go straight through your plinth...but every frequency from 1Hz-10Hz will do likewise (watch the Mark Doehmann video again).
My turntable however, sits on a HERZAN ACTIVE ISOLATION STAND which cancels all vibrations from 0.5Hz-100Hz.
Granite rings like a bell due to its crystalline structure.
Can you please explain its crystalline structure which enables this?
Is it similar to bronze or CAST-IRON which are in fact used for bells?
Should you perhaps inform Toho who foolishly made their TURNTABLE CRADLES from cast-iron....🤔

And if you really believe that 'tapping' a material to see if it 'rings' is the criterion for turntable design.....I look forward to your new plinth made of plasticine to support your platter made of styrofoam 😝
My turntable however, sits on a HERZAN ACTIVE ISOLATION STAND which cancels all vibrations from 0.5Hz-100Hz.

Very good - but I prefer my music full range, if I didn’t want to hear anything below 100hz I would listen to Tin Cans.

Your herzan cant move fast enough to remove all vibration - its superficial.

Nice story....🤗
Unfortunately....a fairytale 🤥

Thank you, I like fairy stories.

For those of a technical bent, and who like fairy stories, google SPZ and grain sliding - there is plenty of interesting research from reputable institutions such as Cranfield et al. You are right with 4hz - I meant 10hz-100hz

Granite rings like a bell due to its crystalline structure.
Can you please explain its crystalline structure which enables this?
Is it similar to bronze or CAST-IRON which are in fact used for bells?
Should you perhaps inform Toho who foolishly made their TURNTABLE CRADLESfrom cast-iron....🤔
"Ring like a bell" is a euphemism for nasty resonance that induces ear cancer. If you cant hear it then you are good to go. By the way, the german word for ear cancer is ohrenkrebs.