Tonearm mount to the plinth vs arm board vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower

Hello,

I am rebuilding a Garrard 301 and looking for a plinth. I am planning to buy 3-4 tonearms to try. I would like to know which is the best way moving forward.

Is there a difference between mounting a tonearm directly on a solid plinth vs arm board (same vs different materials) vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower. 

Thanks
Nanda
kanchi647
Have you guys ever seen Halcro’s photos of the interior of his Halcro preamplifier? Something like that in black.
Yes- we donated one of our Atma-Sphere model 208 turntables to the local audiophile society and someone there used a 'paint' like that on it. It was kindof unnecessary, you can walk up to the platter and thwock it with your forefinger tensioned by your thumb and not hear it in the speakers.

You might be able to get good results with a separate arm pod, but you will get better results if the arm mounting isn't separate from the plinth.

Dear chris, The French cardinal La Rochfaucauld was visited 
by an lady who asked: ''father is it an sin that I admire my own
beauty ? Cardinal: ''my dear lady illusion  is not an sin''. 
You used qualification ''illusion'' but without any argumentation. 
My ''real suspensions'' feel insulted by your comment (grin).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@nandric
You used qualification ’’illusion’’ but without any argumentation.

Nikola - It is not possible to "argue".... "illusions" they are personal and definitely not rigid 8^0

But if the court allows, I can provide ..ah...representation, an example.

"Oh my Lord ...Good God Nikola....Miles Davis is right there playing in front of me....... in my panic room" .aka - Dads Hole.

@atmasphere a specific comment in your post above is in reference to Halcro’s system.

You might be able to get good results with a separate arm pod, but you will get better results if the arm mounting isn’t separate from the plinth.

We know the "Plinth" by definition, is represented by the lowest member of the base. A block serving as a base.

In Halcro’s system the base (Plinth) for his turntable kit that uses armpods.... is the shelf itself. Which in itself ....the shelf .....is attached to the load bearing wall.

So all his tonearms/armpod’s and turntable are attached to this plinth (aka) "a shelf" 8^0

This was covered in detail on the Copernican thread.

and GK
Not sure what question or answer you are referring to, or if it was even directed to me. I was replying solely to Nikola’s post.
I will say however.

Blessed is the Audiophile that finds Audio Nirvana on a budget.

Kind of like you and your Walkman that you discuss here frequently. A shining excellent example for everyone to follow.

Dear chris, Curious but we are again in France . What is the
function of those magnets in your Verdier La Platine? 
This was covered in detail on the Copernican thread.
I remember something about that. If the devices (such as the arm pod or the base of the platter system) use isomerics or the like between them and the plinth that **will** result in coloration. If carefully hard-coupled to the plinth the coloration is reduced. But using an arm pod is problematic as its likely that it will not be perfectly rigid and dead as the application requires.