External DAC connection for Bluesound Node 2i (after "Another streaming newbie" thread)

Guys, just following recent topic raised by chuckccs, I found myself in similar situation because I was comparing Bluesound Node 2i sound via its analogue RCA output with its sound via external DAC (M2Tech Young DSD with external power supply). Difference was really marginal, especially taking into account additional cost of external gear (DAC, cable, PS). I connected Node to DAC via coaxial output, however not tried the optical connection. 
From those who got substantially better sound from Node 2i via external DAC I would like to ask which connection they used (coaxial or optical) and which cable they recommend, maybe also which DAC they used too. Thank you!
apanhc
Wifi connected Node 2 with Shunyata power cord for the Node2, Audioquest “Carbon” coax then to Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC which runs off an external “SBooster” power supply with “Signalcable” power chord.
I did one-by-one over the course of 1.5 years and each part made very noticeable improvements in sound. The biggest improvement was the DAC.

All that money in upgrades may have bought an nicer overall streamer combo DAC, but after I learned all the Bluesound software, I like it so much-  I’m not wanting to change to anything else. Bluesound software is great for my needs.
The Mytek DAC was my final upgrade. The Bluesound DAC is very nice when you consider the price for the Node2, but if you are looking to improve the sound by about 20%, the external DAC may be up your alley.

I tried the digital out from the node 2i into my arcam 32bit dac on board the CDS50 and whilst not a standalone DAC I could hear no improvement and frankly one less loop of wires is better in my book.
I have ordered the power supply and board  modification from fidelity audio UK as experiment... Not sure if there is US company doing the same.
RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Toslink from Node 2i to the DAC. Coax from Adcom CD player to the DAC.

Balanced XLR cables from the DAC to  MF M6si integrated.

No need to spend big bucks on digital cables or XLR.
Guys, thank you all very much! You gave me a lot of good and practical recommendations. My view of Node 2i is that it is a very versatile and capable streamer. I'll use it alone and will change power cord, this made a difference. As for external DAC for streamer only, budget-wise I would choose to go to a next level integrated streamer. When the time comes.
Stay safe and happy listening!