High Output Preamp for First Watt SIT-3?

I'm new to the audiophile world and recently purchased a First Watt SIT-3 with Magnepan .7s.  I have a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge for streaming, though I prefer to play vinyl with my Mofi Ultradeck.  The Mytek serves as the phono stage (69dB gain for MM?), and I don't use a preamp;  the Brooklyn is connected directly to the First Watt. 

I understand that the SIT-3 is only 11.5 dB of gain, and that's extremely low compared to most amps.  I like most everything about the system except for the fact that I have the Mytek maxed out volume-wise many days.  Certain LPs are cut quieter, and I wish I had more power.  There are times streaming where the Maggies aren't getting to their sweet spot.  I realize the Maggies are a lower sensitivity speaker. 

What should I look for in a preamp to fully drive the SIT-3?  Eventually, I'd like to replace the phono stage instead of relying on the Brooklyn.  Is there a tube preamp featuring a phono stage with sufficient output to drive my amp in the $4k range?  Otherwise, I'm eyeing the Modwright PH 9.0 and a linestage preamp, realizing that this will probably be costlier.  I'm looking for a warm sound, not analytical but engaging. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm a working musician with a basic understanding of related electronics but little experience in this world. 

murphbass
While it won’t matter in the case of @joeinid ’s 107 db speakers it’s probably worth mentioning that the SIT-3 won’t be able to provide much power into an 18 ohm or other very high impedance, regardless of whether or not a resistor is connected in parallel with the speaker.

For example, based on the amp’s 18 watt/8 ohm and 30 watt/4 ohm ratings it is probably capable of supplying something like 22 watts into the 6.42 ohm load he mentioned, corresponding to a 10 ohm resistor paralleled with his 18 ohm speaker. In that case, though, most of the 22 watts would be consumed by the resistor, and it can be calculated that only about 8 watts would be delivered to the speaker.

It’s a different story altogether in the case of @charles1dad ’s Coincident Frankensteins, which are optimized for high impedance speakers and I’m guessing would not need a resistor to provide good sonic results and close to rated power even with an 18 ohm load.

Best regards,
-- Al

@almarg

I totally agree with your assessment. Thank you for posting.

In my case, even 8 wpc is a lot for me.

It’s true that I’m wasting or throwing away power for the sake of keeping the SIT3 in its happy zone. So far the SIT3 is my favorite solid state amp on my Avantgarde although I enjoy others, just not as much.

Hi Al,

Thank you for the very clear (as usual) explanation. I suspected that different amplifier topologies respond differently (to some degree) with higher speaker impedances. You are correct, my SET amplifier (8 watts)  pairs beautifully with a 14 ohm speaker impedance. It seems the amplifier is just coasting along.

Charles

I do see frequently that Herb (and mostly Steve G.) will run inefficient speakers with low watt amps and say they sound fine and have plenty of volume, but I get a little wary when I start seeing actual customers trying to power inefficient speakers with 1/6/12/25wpc amps and not quite getting the results they were expecting.  Not everyone is running Zu or Klipsch or Tekton, and I'm not sure where the disconnect is.  Maybe what they consider an acceptable volume doesn't translate well to other peoples' listening habits.

Hi joeinid,

I know you've had some excellent SS amps in your system so your comment regarding the S.I.T.-3 is quite a compliment. I would not be surprised if you preferred it over Avantgarde's own sibling  amplifier.

Charles