Silly Question...does a transport have a "sound" ?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a dedicated transport (like an Accustic Arts Drive I, AM Mephesto II.X or even a ML 37) from the Sony DVP-9000es I'm using now. I'm locked in on my dac (Kora Heremes II), which I love.

My question is, do transports from different manufacturers have significantly audible "sonic signitures" that I should consider when deciding what to mate to the Kora? (e.g., hifi-ish/fast/cold/analytic vs. analog-like/polite/bloomy/warm).

To go even further down this slippery slope, are there discerable differences between, say, a Teac VRDS 3.2 mechanism and a Phillips CDM Pro2 or a C.E.C. belt drive?

I've read a lot of posts here and on AA that've provided some clues, but was wondering if anyone with significant experience with multiple brands of transports could share some of their experiences.

In other words, is the transport "sound/signiture" something worth paying a lot of attention too, or should I just worry about mechanical things like stability, isolation, etc. Thanks.
garyk
If jitter is so important, why do we hardly ever see jitter measurements published for CD players the way we see things like THD, frequency response, etc.? Come to think of it, does anyone know what a good jitter spec would be?
Hi All, I guess it's back up on my soap box again. Well in January I wrote about the different sounding transports and, then my current transport the CEC TL-1. It appears like children and animals, when you talk about them they act up. My CEC started not reading certain discs and had problems searching programed discs over 12 tracks. The CEC never had a laser replacement and I suspect that's what is needed. I will replace the laser assembly when I can find a substitute assembly that fits, because the original laser is no longer available. In the interim I purchased an Accustic Arts Drive 1 online from Playhouse Audio. I hooked the Drive up with an RCA Goldmund Lineal Digital cable and with about a two hour warm up I began to listen. All areas of performance exceeded the CEC's performance, with the exception of the treble, which was stiff,hard and a bit steely, very unCEC like. I was not happy in the least. I rationalized that the Drive 1 spent two days in a cold FedEx truck, so I let it burn in for three days. To say the least all aspects of performance are better than before and the treble is smooth, silky and rounded. I suspect that with more burn in over time it will even get better. At this point I believe this transport is reference quality in sound reproduction and fit and finish. Outstanding top to bottom, highly recommended.
At one time I too believed there were minor if any differences in transports.I know otherwise now.I tried a number of them for my bryston dac and can tell you the Acoustic arts drive 1 it was jaw dropping.It easily better the dv50 in my opinion and sounded quite analog like.I would wager that the bryston/acousic arts drive combo would rival many a very high end player.
Hi back again, all here that own Acustic Arts D 1 CD transport, if possible should try the balanced digital output. It makes a huge difference. I went from SE Goldmund Lineal to Balanced Stereovox HDX2 and I'm on a total different level.
Thanks again to Sean and Metralla fo their insights.Off to another great day in the Year 2005