Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
Saxman, apart from the EMM transport I met all of your conditions in urging me to listen to the EMM system. It is not that I disliked the EMM as I did dislike the dCS gear, I just thought other unit were better and cheaper. If I get a chance, however, I will relisten to the EMM digital front end.
Luke,
Thanks for the post. I think that several times during this thread it went far off course, perhaps because the stated intention of finding that 'perfect' player was never fulfilled. In fact, there were weeks at a time where no progress whatsoever was made in that regard. And then most of the main players abandoned the quest midstream, leaving the rest of us wondering what the heck they concluded about the various players.

So no offense meant. I think we were simply attempting to combat the boredom and/or disappointment with the thread with a bit of humor. That is, until one of the original group might happen along and resume the focus of the thread. Unfortunately, that wish never materialized.
All the best,
Howard
I certainly am still on my quest. I am reworking my system presently, and still waiting for the Modwright 3910. I will have the APL, Modwright, and TRL. Maybe an Exemplar at some time, but I believe I have what it takes to compare. I do invite those to audition in my home stating the middle of next month. I have been trying to fine tune my system for a while now, and keep $$$$. Lates additions include electraglide statement II revised revision X 3, BPT sig 3.5, anti cable speaker wire, Reimer Teton speakers, and I am working now on multiple interconnects. Maybe a Hydra 8 soon too. Basically between, work, my daughters Bat Mitzvah, next week, and audio, my head is spinning. My quest continues.....good luck on yours.

Gotta love Audiogon
Wow!!! I don't know how i missed this thread or all the fun, but it was very entertaining & educational to read. Not only in terms of who likes what best, but in terms of human nature and how we first perceive things and then how we deal with them.

As a side note, 711 may have been very vocal about his "love" of the APL 3910 and overly critical of AVguru's initial "sound" with the stock DV-50 in place. At the same time though, AV never refuted and in fact confirmed that 711's APL 3910 sounded far more lifelike with much greater dimensionality in his system. The fact that AV had espoused much the same "vocality" for his love of the DV-50 prior to being exposed to the APL and ModWright units seems to have been somewhat overlooked. Nothing wrong with "loving" a product, so long as things are kept in perspective.

The one conclusion that i've come to is that some people really like the products that they have. The thing that i have to take into consideration here is that some of these people have had way more in-depth experience with many different players than some of the others in this comparison. As such, i have to grant those with a wider level of experience a bit more weight in their opinions and findings. As we all know, having time to get to know each component on a long term basis, and realizing all of the various strengths, weaknesses and quirks, is vital to how happy you will be with the unit in the long run.

As to the charges being levied against Alex / APL working with shills on this forum, i do not know the man nor have i ever talked to him. The fact that Tvad and Brainwater, who have no axe to grind and are both honest individuals, speak highly of this player tells me a lot of what i wanted to know. This is not to say that the APL is necessarily the best player out there ( i have NO idea and there probably isn't a "best" ), but that there are "honest" people praising the worthiness of this machine and of Alex's work. I know that Tvad has been both honest and critical of the components / cabling that he's tried in the past and spoken of publicly. One look at Brent's componentry and installation should tell you where he's coming from. Obviously, Brent has no reason to promote a product that he doesn't have complete faith in as he could afford whatever it is that he wants. Coming from such a source, his recommendation of the APL modified units speaks volumes to me.

Other than that, it would be nice to have a really well organized "listening session" with a diversity of sources. Only problem that i see is that it would be hard to standardize a test where some machines are XLR based, some are RCA based, etc... On top of that, different machines may have different output impedances and "load up" differently into various cabling / preamp combo's.

As such, the results from any such test would strictly pertain to how well things "jive" in that specific installation using those specific components. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that personal preferences, differences in listening acuity and seated listening position throw further variables into the equation only makes such a test "less than authoritative". None the less, i do think that such "tests" can be fun, educational and provide a great source of info for others to learn from and follow along with. As such, i'd like to offer a big "THANK YOU" to all of those that contributed their time, effort and componentry to making this happen. It was a blast, even if i read the whole thread in less than 24 hours : )

Brian: Out of curiosity, did you listen to your G&D / Entec front end in comparison to any of these? I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the subject. Drop me an email if you want to discuss this privately.

This brings something to mind that i'd like to point out though. That is, i've always said that a "good" basic unit that is "lovingly modified" could easily beat a more expensive, mass produced machine. The results of this thread tend to support those previous comments. Sean
>

PS.... I would have liked to have seen something from Ric Schultz / EVS in this "pile-up", but it may have only added one more voice / point of contention to deal with. This is not to say that Ric's units are as good / better than the others out there, just that i personally would have liked to see what others thought of them and how they would have stood up under direct comparison. Having dealt with Ric in the past and having owned several of his products, i'd like to think that he's capable of "hanging" with the big boys. I was glad to see one of Kyle's partially modified units compete, which provided yet another source of diversity to the comparisons being made.
Sean, based upon my limited exposure to the other units I'll keep the G&D/Entec but am always open to suggestions. We didn't listen to the combo except for a while before the other players were put in, and not all were present to hear it. Anyone wanting to hear it is welcome to come by and compare it against theirs or my turntable - a Rockport was used as a reference for voicing the G&D/Entec.

I find some of the other posts to this thread to be (pick as many as you wish) misleading, entertaining, confusing, indignant, funny, misguided, and/or having vested interests. And some others are informative and insightful. Yet some feel an obligation to defend their choices to the death but deny it. Life's too short for that. One shouldn't forget it's all about the music and enjoying it.

Brian