Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
geez - and people were accusing *ME* of trying to degenerate this thread into a name-calling hatefest. anybody know the story of king lear?

:-)

but seriously - there's no pride at stake here, folks! who cares if somebody doesn't like your player? if you like it, that's all that matters! and how can you expect anybody else to be able to judge what yours sounds like unless there's an extended session? did *you* know the full sound of your player after an hour? two hours? i don't know how much time 711 and avguru spent together playing their players, but i promise you it wasn't enough to get a feel for either person's player. this is also why i feel that the shootout is a bad idea. not only are people making hurried judgements about high-end cd-players, which are devices where subtleties are what makes the difference, but we're getting a bunch of people together who are welling with pride over their purchases and this is just the potential start of MANY feuds to come!

tvad is absolutely right in his assesments, IMHO and i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one who feels that way.

and, to AVGURU and 711 specifically: there is a huge, huge world out there. that you two don't like eachother or eachother's set-ups doesn't mean a damn thing in the scheme of things. remember, this hobby is supposed to be fun and to be about music, not equipment. the equipment is merely a means to an end. and that end is very, very individualistic, which means that your end won't suit everybody. hence, your systems will not suit more than just *one* other person around here.

so, stop and ask yourself: why does it offend you that he insulted your cd-player? he's not killing your dog, burning down your house, stealing candy from your child, embezzling money from your college fund, slapping your mother, or pouring sugar into your gas tank. he's expressing an opinion. and you know how much value his opinion has? as much as you allow it to have. no more, no less.

remember: opinions are like assholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

now lighten up folks! have your little shootout and have fun doing it, just don't accept the results for any more than they are. keep the atmosphere relaxed and ENJOY THE GODDAMN MUSIC!

although, at this point y'all might want something a bit stronger than beer or wine to relax the mood. ;-)
To All,

Over the last 4 months I have spent considerable time and effort talking to posters, fielding NUMEROUS questions from both observers and posters, arranging listening sessions, demoing a fair amount of equipment on my own, writing reviews and trying to maintain the focus of this thread.

At times I've had to "scold" a few posters for insulting others and I've tried to keep everybody focused on the task at hand. All of my criticism was in the spirit of making this a better thread...nothing more and nothing less. None of it was personal. I always envisoned this thread to be extremely professional, have a "real purpose" and not meander around a myriad of topics like so many other threads on A-gon often do.

I had hoped this nonsene would stop when A-gon suspended this thread for roughly 12 hours a month ago..thinking people would then appreciate the thread and get the message. Apparently it's effect was only temporary.

Unfortunately, there are those on this thread who have resented my efforts, who pout like children when given constructive critcism or when asked to curtail certain activities, who resented my self appointed tag as the "MODERATOR" (which was only done to restore order and not for ego related purposes), who feel they have the right to say whatever they want to say regardless of who it hurts or whether its relevant, etc. Finally, there are a host of people who have their own hidden agenda's and care about nothing other than pushing their ideas, products, etc on others.

As such, it is clear to me that my participation and efforts on this thread are not appreciated and are no longer necessary. I've certainly tired of trying to maintain a certain modicum of professionalism and civility. As such, I bid my farewell and leave this thread to my detractors and naysayers who are now free to take it in whatever direction they see fit.

For all of those people who have posted questions to me on this thread that I have yet to answer or who want to contact me please do so through my A-gon e-mail as I will not be responding to or following this thread anymore.

Good luck and enjoy the shootout!

AVGURU

Respect is something all people deserve. Disagreements happen but I hope none of us feels we have a lock on "the truth". As lazarus said its about the MUSIC and this by its nature MUST be subjective. Feel free to bash any piece of EQUIPMENT you like but refrain from bashing people who's opinions you don't like. I have no affinity for "stuff" only for the joy it brings me.
James
If the response to posts avowing different sonic virues to different players from some posters is a fore-taste of the shoot-out, and there's no reason to believe otherwise, after reading the last few posts, I would forget about beer and wine, Brian, but consider instead getting the National Guard to come listen. (with M16s rather than CDPs.) You will need them to keep order. Ufb..................