Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
--Some comments on my analog vs. CD playback
I thought I would gratuitously post some observations I've made on my Modwright Sony 999, now that it is broken in, compared against my analog rig. This is unscientific in every way and includes only one recording that I did a direct synchronized A/B test upon.
The comments I've made on the Modwright player earlier in the thread are still valid.
My analog setup is a Linn LP12 with all the known current mods. It additionally sports a Goldmund platter rather than the standard Linn platter. The arm is a Linn Ittok and the cartridge is a relatively recent Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MK II. The preamp is an Audio Research SP16 with phono stage. It has about 400 hours on a new set of Electroharmonics "Elite" 12AX7 type tubes.
Interconnects are Audioquest Jaguar for the CD player and Cardas arm wires. Between amp and preamp I'm using Kimber Hero and the speakers, Nautilus 803s are connected to the Musical Fidelity A3CR amp via Nordost Solar Wind cables.
Regarding phono playback, I would identify the built-in phono section of the SP16 as the weakest link in the chain. I think it is generally pretty good, but compared with a true high-end phono stage it may lack some of the dynamics and openness of the best.
Throughout my critical listening to compare, I was constantly surprised at how close the two sources were. I mean, really close. The Linn, with a properly cleaned LP has a very black noise floor. The album I was able to A/B test was Linda Ronstadt's Lush Life on Elektra. I have an original standard LP pressing from circa the time of its release in 1984. My Redbook CD copy is relatively new, but it was apparently produced for CD in 1986. So, not only is it a Redbook CD, but it's apparently produced on first generation equipment for that medium. My comparisons were all with Redbook, not SACD.
Both front ends produced marvelous detail, dynamics and soundstage. There was a consistent difference across almost every type of music having to do with soundstage depth. With the LP12, the lead vocals were focused solidly between the speakers at about the plane of the speaker fronts. All vocals and instruments had plenty of air and bloom. The Ronstadt album was produced with the use of an Aphex Aural Exciter so that room acoustics could apparently be synthesized where acceptable ones did not otherwise exist during the recording. Actually, I know next to nothing about the Aphex unit, but I'm assuming this is the purpose. With the LP, insttruments remained tightly organized around the leads and extended back in space nicely. Microdynamics were good and did not lend themselves to any subjective critisism. Notes in the upper midrange had a slight tendency to sound a bit blunted on their leading edges as though not able to fully open up as they attacked. The upside of this is that the effect was one of mellow richness. Overall, the impression of listening through the LP12 was one of intamacy: As though I were hearing the music in a smaller venue such as a nightclub.
I was able to play both sources separately and synchronized within a second or two and could switch back and forth relatively quickly between the Linn and the Modwright. As I said, the two sources had many more similarities than differences. The most noteable difference was in the perspective. The Modwright gave me the sense of listening in a much larger theater with the lead singer out in front and spotlighted. The vocals had uncanny clarity. The soundstage extended a bit further back with each instrument existing in its own space. The roundness of attacks, especially with piano and brass instruments was replaced by a laserlike clarity. This is not to say it was clinical. To the contrary, each note carried warmth and bloom but still held its own identity even as the overtones blended and expanded. What one would hear as the characteristic glare associated with Redbook sound was handled by the Modwright in a very euphonic way. It emerged as a brilliant shine without a headache-producing glare. This effect worked decidedly to the Modwright's advantage when reproducing the sound of brass. I especially noticed it on trombone parts.
The other thing handled decidedly better by the Modwright were the dynamics of Linda's voice. As her volume would build and peak, the LP would begin to exhibit some thinness. This could be due, in part, to the fact that it is a twenty-year-old LP which has been played several dozen times. Still, while the tone of the note remained clear, it would lose body. Maybe this has to do with arm resonance. My knowledge of the physics associated with analog playback is limited. This is where the contrast and, I'm afraid, superiority of the Modwright was really illustrated. On the CD version, as the notes would build, so would their body. They would get tangibly more powerful as she expelled more air. In contrast, the notes would weaken slightly when played through the phono equipment.
On this album, side 2, the cut "Falling in Love Again" begins with a melody produced, I assume, with vibes. It's a glowing bell-like solo which sets the mood for the song. On the LP version, it is intriguing, musical, and engrossing. From the Modwright, it is absolutely stunning! It reaches out and grabs me as each note rings out solidly. Each note decays while its overtones are marvelously experienced. Again, one has the impression of a lead performer being spotlighted on a large stage.
So which is better? If I could choose only one, it would have to be the CD player. Fortunately, I don't have to choose only one. The analog experience is still special and to me, more intimate. What it lacks in fireworks, it compensates for in rich melodic, relaxed sound reproduction. I have to say that for me, the Modwright gives a more involving sound. I'm a more active listener, hearing elements of music reproduction that I am not accustomed to. Let me restate and emphasize that the two sources were quite similar. During the Ronstadt playback, I would sometimes lose track of which source I had selected and have to wait for a telling bit of acoustics to get it straight. I have to admit that prior to this player, I'd never taken digital sources all that seriously so some of my enthusiasm is undoubtedly due to novelty. I'm still very amused/gratified that I can repeat tracks, restart the disk or change the volume without getting off my butt. I'm finally really enjoying the convenience of CD now that I can get them to sound like music!
There is a new review of a modified DV50 with the Superclock 3 modification by Reference Mods. This is a new thread worth following.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rdgtl&1106373263
Perhaps the owner can be persuaded to participate with his unit to the upcoming 'Grand CDP Listening Slaughter & Shootout Extravaganza". AVGURU, to you the honor of contacting the owner.
It would appear from some of the posts in this thread that the strength of the Denon 3910 is its transport/DSP function. In fact, one of the modifications of this unit that has been discussed involves just using those components and replacing all else. This raises the question of how a 3910/great DAC combo would compare with the modified 3910?

Anyone tried this?
Hey Brian,

The 29th is not a good day for 1Markr, Jactoy or myself. Since having Bon's modded Sony 9000ES and 1Markr's new Wright modded Sony 999ES are critical to the shootout I suggest we plan another weekend. The person bringing the Exemplar 2900 also won't be available. And I won't have access to the handful of stock players that I wanted to bring on the 29th.

I suggest we wait until everyone's schedule permits.

AVGURU
OK, then will all concerned please propose the date. The following Saturday, Feb. 5th? Let's get the date reserved as soon as possible, as I have some other commitments.

All planning to attend, please RSVP because space is limited and be sure to indicate afternoon or evening, as we probably need to have two sessions. If you're bringing a player, please let me know well in advance, including details on its features. Since there will be quite a few players involved in the comparison, a little planning can go a long way. Anyone wanting to bring their player over a day or three early to plug in and warm up is welcome to do so.

I can be reached by email through this site or by phone at , preferably evenings and weekends.

Thanks.

Brian