Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
To all,

It looks like we're back in business again! The thread was temporarily closed down. Why, I don't know (I didn't request it)but my guess is the last post from Springbok10 or a direct complaint from Kern may have caused Audiogon to become concerned. A-gon certainly doesn't want to be in the middle of any legal squabble between members.

Springbok10, I understand your frustration and most of what you said was very valid. But as I told everyone earlier, we just have to tone down the rhetoric and stick to the original intent of this thread. Keep personal feelings about others out of it. This thread is too valuable for all involved (and we're too close to our ultimate shoot-out)to jeopardize the use of it because of personal vendetta's.

Let's enjoy the music again!

AVGURU (MODERATOR)
Apparently this thread has taken on a life of its own ;). I have not had nor taken the time to read all of it, but I gather that things got ugly at one point.

Regardless of all of that, I just wanted to clarify and update information about our Denon mods as I have not been very good about releasing information. We have just honestly been buried and I have been finallizing the mods.

We did take a solid-state modified and a tube-modified Denon 3910 to CES and we auctioned the tube unit. I believe that 'Smilin' won the auction.

I do not foresee us offering a volume control on this unit at this time, remote or otherwise. Unlike the Crystal chip, the Burr Brown chips do not have an on-board volume control (I don't believe) and I don't have a good R/C solution for adding a volume control otherwise.

Our Solid-State mod is NOT just a parts upgrade and op-amp swap, but rather is a re-designed analog stage. It is quite good and offers an option for those who are not tube-inclined, for Class A performance.

The tube mod will likely ultimately have an outboard power supply. I have built the first unit with internal supply, but am not satisfied with the installation due to the weight of the 'iron' used and the strength of the chassis. I also believe that getting the high-voltage supply outside of the chassis is superior sonically. We are using toroidal transformers, so EMI fields are not so much the issue, but there are other limitations here in my opinion.

I will be finallizing the CES unit for 'Smilin' and I am sure that he will post his impressions.

For the record, I hope that we all remember that this is about the music and bettering our enjoyment of it. Alex, John, Allen, Richard and I all do good work and have taken different approaches to the ultimate goal of superior music reproduction.

Enjoy the music!

Dan
dammit - i've been trying not to chime in on this thread, but here i go.

it's no secret that i feel that these shootouts are generally worthless and that mob mentality it strongly at play in these sessions. i've stated it elsewhere, made my points, and still feel that way.

the reason i'm posting now is because i do feel that alex is being attacked a bit here. i don't know alex like the other modders might, but let me state for the record my experiences with him:

he's answered every single one of my emails to him, which i'd gladly post here. all of my questions have been general information-type emails concerning my busted EMM Labs modified SACD-1000. yes, he's tried to pitch me on his stuff, but i can *not* blame him. he's a businessman and he's taking time out from his schedule to answer my idiotic questions, so i fully expect him to recommend his stuff. the professionalism he's shown in helping me with my problems has been fantastic.

while we're on the SACD-1000, let's not forget that it was alex who was first able to isolate and repair the defective parts. he worked with Andreas from EMMLabs and a guy with philips, if i understand it correctly to get the problem solved. granted, this was in his best interest because he can charge epople to fix them, but the fact remains that even after philips stopped supporting their own product, he continued to work on them.

lastly, i feel i should divulge that i have just entered into a business deal with him, at full price i might add - to repair and mod my meitnerized SACD-1000 that has a faulty MACE chip. were it not for his dilligence, i'd not e able to enjoy my EMM gear without shelling out the 7k for a CDSD.

i haven't heard his mods and i don't imagine i will hear any of his modded players for a long while, as i don't know anybody in san antonio with one - but i think that if he's gonna get accused and trashed in this thread, i should at least point out my experiences with him.

i'm not implying that he's a saint or that we need to start erecting statues, but i do feel that these attacks are unfair.

and before anybody asks - this is completely unsolicited, blah, blah, blah. i do value my integrity (because god knows i'm short on dignity) and a quick search of my posts i would hope would show this.

also, i feel i should add that when i first started having problems with my phillips, i sent emails out to all of the popular modders on this board. not all of them even bothered to reply, including one who i have seen attack alex on other boards.

i may not know much about modding, but i do understand customer service, being a business owner myself.

again, bottom line: don't believe what you see, hear, read, etc - figure it out for yourself. it's the only way you can be sure.

end rant.