Looking for best streamer without DAC under $3500

I currently run Metrum Ambre with Metrum Onyx and really enjoy it, but am looking to upgrade to a better streamer that has spotify among other aps. Currently looking at Lumin U1 mini, Auralic, etc.

Curious what others think
128x128justjames72
@ rbstehno  could you explain us what do you mean by "usb crap" please?  It's just a digital interface and DAC with USB Async mode exists since years...
I've listened to many high end sound systems driven by USB DAC including Meitner and the results were stunning...
I recycled an Atom mini server for my friend and installed on it Debian + MPD.  It is hooked to Ayre QB9, Krell KRC-3, Krell KSA-200s and Dynaudio Speakers: Wow factor is much present!
Well, this thread was interesting to say the least. Lot of talk about USB, but I didn't mention that in my post and that has no baring on my decision considering it's not usually the best connection to begin with.

I went with a Lumin T2...

Cheers.
the guy ranting about USB is just plain wrong. Done right, like any other interface, can sound wonderful.

$20K to deliver digital sounds like somebody has more money than sense.

If you want to use Roon why not get the box specifically designed to do that, a Nucleus. Everything about it is designed and optimized to do just that. The software is written specifically to run Roon and as mentioned, you don't have all of that background crap running like a Windows or Osx based system.

For the person having trouble streaming Tidal with Roon that sounds like a one-off issue. I am currently running Roon on a Mac Mini streaming hours at a time with zero hiccups. Are you sure it is a Roon issue or is it an issue with your DIY server? Try one of the other services like Qobuz that have a free trial and see if they have issues.

I’m entering the discussion late, but I am still perplexed about the whole streamer/DAC issue.  A few months ago, I A/B’d my Bluesound Node 2 streamer with the Aurender N100 running through the DAC in my Hegel H190.  I wanted to love the Aurender because I could have bought it for a great price.  I confess that the build quality of the Aurender, but try as I might, I could detect no difference in sound quality over a broad spectrum of music.  I ultimately decided to stick with the Bluesound.  I have since upgraded my system and am streaming my Bluesound Node 2 into a Chord Qutest DAC that connects with a Prima Luna preamp that are run by an old, but sweet, YBA Passion 400 Amp.  My speakers are Harbeth 30.2s.  I love my system, but am still wonder, as all Of us crazy audiophiles do, whether the holy grail of streamers will make a difference.  I should add by the way, that I have the Bluesound Node 2 running through the Chord DAC and also streaming through its own DAC into the PL.  I notice more air in the Chord, but can’t say it knocks my socks off.  All of this is predicate to the question of how much to streamers and DACs really matter.  To the extent that A/B’ing is the closest I can get to a scientific assessment, I am left only with questions.  And finally, all of this being said, my system still sounds sweet!  I am fascinated by all of the discussion and look forward to any thoughts folks might have.