When Did Your System Disappear?

As we upgrade our audio systems, things (hopefully) keep sounding better and better. I have found that after a certain point, the system completely disappears. It’s no longer a pair of speakers, amps, preamps, sources, etc. Music is created out of thin air floating between and behind the speakers with little to no colorations in the sound. The regular audio verbiage can be thrown out the window because all you hear is the recording. If something is bright or harsh or bass heavy, it’s the recording not your system.
I noticed this when I modified my source and preamp to accept better power supplies. Using a combination of linear power supplies and large SLA batteries took my system to a new level where the equipment just disappears. Of course, this wasn’t the only thing that helped. Up to that point, every component has been experimented on to achieve a high degree of synergy. Interconnects, power cables, speaker cables, etc. all play a role too. Everything matters. 

My question to you all is when did this happen in your system? Did it develop slowly over time or was there a definite change that occurred with a certain upgrade?
128x128mkgus

The day my stereo finally disappeared? Oh I remember it just like yesterday. It was the morning of July 5th, 1978. Very late the night before, I’d steered Lurch, my cancer-pocked yellow Impala with the monkey brown potato-chip vinyl top to a crunching stop outside my crappy rental in Montrose; straight ahead you could see the long row of shotgun shacks start right where Houston’s fourth ward began, on the next block. Ok, it was kind of a wild night partying with my new girlfriend Faith, slightly my senior, at her fancy condo in the nicer Memorial neighborhood, but it was time to get home. I do remember tossing the keys onto the dining room table, as I made my way to flop face down on the bed, lights out.

Morning: "tunes" was my first thought; I got upright and stumbled toward the stereo, squinting just enough not to trip, and reached to flip the switch on that  receiver. Just stood there, wagging my index finger in the air, up and down, not finding it. I had to open my eyes, even if it hurt. Damn, where was my stereo? Gone it was, along with the Cerwin Vega garage sale speakers and the Dual 1219 turntable and even the Allman Brothers At Fillmore East, which I’d left on it. Linda the neighbor showed up, and gave me the deadpan look. "Well you didn’t even lock the door. I just walked right in." Yeah, I could see that now. "That’s a shame, Chuck. Let’s go get some eggs, you’ll feel better." "Okay, I’ll drive".

Dressed now, but where are those keys. I know I threw them right about here! Well, maybe I left them in the car. Halfway down the front walk - "Hey, he took the car too!" She, laughing: "I guess he had to have something to haul away your stereo! You didn’t even wake up for this?" It seems we were in agreement, it must have been a guy who did this. We took her car.

Weeks later, an official sounding voice on the phone: "Mr. Lisser? I think we have your car - a 1970 yellow Chevy Impala?" "All right, where?" "You’ll need to tow it, the front tires are blown." Sure enough, at a city yard off the North Freeway, there was my poor, violated Lurch. The office man was talkative. "Oh, that guy, whoever he was, he took your car on a nice ride! Knocked over a Seven Eleven, then a Big Bear market, had a whole lot of city cops and DPS cars chase him up the North Freeway, dogs and all. Well he jumped the ditch and landed in a field. He got out and ran into the woods. That’s where they lost him."

So it was a guy. I couldn’t help noticing the round smashed part where my stereo thief’s head had connected with the windshield. Wisps of hair were still clinging to the cracked glass. The back seat was empty. "Did you find my stereo?" The office man looked puzzled. "Nope." I got behind the wheel, feeling kind of dirty. I’d have to fix the tires and get a new windshield. At least the engine turned over. But my stereo had, without a doubt, disappeared!
I had a similar experience in college when some bikers broke into my apartment and stole a couple grand worth of equipment; this was in 1973, so in today’s money, it would be nearly $12K!
When Did Your System Disappear?

When I got divorced

I just spit out my coffee, testpilot. Been there.
Yes, they did. Here’s what they got:

Dynaco FM-3 tuner

Dynaco Pas-3 preamp 

Kenwood 120 WPC power amplifier 

Teak 10” reel to reel tape deck 

Technics turntable + cartridge 

Sony dual cassette deck 

DBX-3bx compressor/expander

Bose 901 Series IV speakers and stands

120 +/- LP records, pre-recorded cassette and reel to reel tapes

50 +/- blank Memorex cassette and reel to reel tapes

home-built LED clock in rosewood veneer plywood case