Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
128x128scar972
New Way air bearings have amorphous carbon faces, resulting in literally millions of ’apertures’. I saw a U-Tube presentation of a shaft rotating in an air bearing (maybe New Way), spinning freely, when the high pressure air supply to the spindle was cut. The shaft came to an abrupt stop with a bang - it was immovable. Now that’s low tolerance!
I did respond to this, in my post just prior to this.
Apologies, somehow I managed to miss it. Now remedied.

I took your original post to mean a mat with the same universal durometer as vinyl, which was why I wondered. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
@scar972  There's a photo on my System page. It's an aluminum light grease bearing with POM linings and ceramic ball. Made by a guy in Asia. SPH. sphBearing AT gmail com
@lewm 

Total 14.8 kg (Chassis 5 kg, Platter 9.8 kg); Power Supply 0.5 kg

So 21.6 pounds.

I even checked my math with a conversion program!

Platter weight 9.8kg = ~21 lbs.  I see no conflict with what you previously wrote, if you're talking about the Bardo.