Has anyone else auditioned something that really was terrible?

I decided to check out Rotel on current B&W 804's, since I figured these speakers would be most similar to my older 803"s.Even the sales person had to admit it was not something I would want to listen to for any length of time.Do people buy this for background music?For around $4000 for a CD and integrated amp, it was not impressive. to say the least. It actually sounded like my first preamp, a Crown IC something or other.
Someone gave me a 125 wpc Marantz surround receiver.  I plugged it in and listened for 5 minutes, then permanently re-boxed it to sell, if I ever get around to it. It is totally unlistemable.
Am I just spoiled?
128x128danvignau
Schiit Audio Magni. 

Granted, this is only a $99 headphone amp, but how in the world can they sell it? Hard to describe actually, but it produced some really strange digital to analog conversion. Maybe I had a flawed unit, but I returned it the very next day. 
Denon and Marantz - awful.  I used to think Onkyo was a better budget A/V receiver, but after using Anthem - no contest for Anthem.  I A/B'ed Dynaudio Special 40's with Martin Logan Motion 40's - Motion 40 smoked the Dynaudio - that surprised me.  I was surprised that Classe class D amps (Sigmas) smoked both Moon and McIntosh.  Parasound Halo P6 was pretty rank, the phono preamp was worse than $29 Behringer.  Lost $500 to try that unit.  The $1.09 a foot KarmaKable still some of the best sounding speaker cable to my ears (10 guage tin coated copper).  I tried the PS Audio BHK250, sounded good, but underpowered - then I tried Jeff Rowland - ummm - no contest.
I wouldn't say terrible, but I simply didn't enjoy the sound of some Paradigm 5Fs I listened to at the local shop a while back. It just sounded harsh. Source and amplification were McIntosh. I simply wasn't impressed for the price. The B&W I tried next were more to my liking.