Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
Avguru I admire you for not being bias,many times
audiophile,are bias toward their purchase,and the
gear they own.CONGRATULATION FOR BEING HONEST.For
711,you are true audiophile and music lover, 120
miles of driving? Thanks again both of you.
It is FUN, for me, I just love this hobby, and the search for digivinal, heh heh heh, the best part is, my system, right now, with horn speakers and John Coltranes Blue train, he is playing right here in my room, better than any vinyl I have ever heard. Anyone up fof the challenge? Ain't this fun. Bet you don't know what player I am listening too. Email me if yawanna find out.

Smilins smilin tonight
Guidocorona,

That is the $1,000,000 question. Are the modded Denon's on par(or even surpass)the mighty X01? I'm not ready to answer that yet as I need to hear a head to head comparision. I won't make the mistake of under-estimating the modded Denon's again. And in all fairness, when I auditioned the X01 it was being played on $1,800 audioquest speaker cables, Legacy Whisper speakers (about 200 lbs each) and the amplification was the new Marantz Special edition 2 channel amps (I think model number was the 7SE or something like that). Also, the matching preamp. Each amp retails for $7,000 and the pre-amp is $7,500. More importantly, they had a seperate amp on each speaker. It was a decidely high dollar set-up. That's why its important I hear it on my sytem. I am trying to arrange for a home demo this week but I'm not sure if they're willing to let me do that. We'll see.

However, the X01 left a very strong impression with me and I can tell you some of the differences between the sound of the two units:

- In SACD the X01 was extremely impressive...not just great but almost out of this world. Detail retrieval in SACD was phenomenal.

- The redbook playback was extemely smooth and refined with a tightly focused soundstage and pinpoint imaging. The sound was much fuller than the DV 50.

- Bass was TIGHT with slam.

- The X01 is not a warm player hence it does not sound analog in redbook like the modded Denon's can. (SACD is another story). Its not cold or bright either...its playback is all about the truth.

-It was airier than the DV 50 but I want to say not quite as airy as the Denon's. It seems to me the Denon's put more air around the instruments while the X01 emphasizes space. They are not the same but its hard to describe in words.
The Denon has a slightly wider soundstage.

A key improvement over the DV 50 is soundstage depth and layering. But the Denon's excelled at this also.

The Denon may have slightly better dynmaics.

The PRAT factor on the Denon's were very good. I don't remember concerning the X01. However, I was surpised recently to find out that PRAT is not just a function of the cd player but also the pre-pro and amp. For example,
when I paired my DV 50 with the Bel Canto pre-pro it had an extremely transparent and dynamic sound but the pace was slow. When I replaced the BC with the Anthem D1, I lost a little of the dynamics and transparency but the pace and rhythm was much better and more aggressive...like comparing a marching band to a military "fast walk" exercise. So its hard to say which unit has better PRAT.

Both the denon's and the XO1 have a very refined and sophisticated sound. You can hear they are high end units.

To sum it as up, the Denon's (especially the APL) is like water coming out of a shower head...a wide, sweeping spray that is soft, airy, gentle and never harsh with extended highs and not as extended lows. Also has great dynamics.

The X01 (as I remember it in redbook) is like a high pressure waterhose. The soundstage is extremely focused and organized and every instrument has its proper place. It images extremely well. Dynamic swings are certainly heard and felt but never allowed to grab your attention to the point they take away from the musical flow. Instruments are timbrally correct and tonally rich but never "lush" like the Denon APL. If the disc is recorded poorly you will hear it more with the XO1 than either Denon.

Whereas the Denon's place a warmth and romanticism to the vocals that make you feel you can reach out and touch the singer...the X01 gives greater insight into the vocals...its like you've heard the words before but "never really heard them" until you listen through the X01.

Again, this is what I "remember" hearing but I need a refresher in the form of a direct face off. Should I get a chance to do that the results will be posted here.

AVGURU
AVGURU, I am looking forward to playing again, how about friday, at my place. That way you can hear horns on horns, and get a little different perspective. I would love to repay your hospiality. I really had a good time, hope you did too. BTW I love your discriptive abilities.
AVGURU, I herewith chime synesthetically with 711smilin's praises of your very descriptive metaphores!
Jokes asides, you describe the sound exactly the way I 'see' it, or in other words, the way I hear it in images. Hope you can borrow the X-01 this weekend and get together with 711 for some serious 'referencing'--as I have so renamed 'comparative auditioning' with a fellow audio-deseased buddy of mine from the Great White North.