Benchmark DAC1 auditions out there? latest model

I just purchased the latest DAC1 and I think that the sound is absolutely superb for the money. I had auditioned the previous version and thought it too was superb. The newer one to my ears sounds a bit more airey in the treble. The same great bass is there, the same huge stage and delicate treble without the digital glare so common in sub 1K products is all there. I find that the Cardas Golden Reference power cord pushes the package foreward more than one might suspect a power cord can do. What auditions have others compared the DAC1 to and what were your impressons? Jallen
jallen
I think people looking in the close to $1000 or even $2000 range should not be put off by some of these negative sounding comments regarding the Benchmark. Some glowing reviews including the one in Stereophile may make it sound like it is the best DAC in the universe, bar none, in every system, which of course, is impossible IMO. (I'm not saying the reviewers said that, you may just come away with the impression that they did after reading a glowing review.)

The bottom line is every system component designer makes choices (I hesitate to call them compromises) based on the sliding scale between accuracy and "musicality", desired price point, output levels and many other things. This also means that something can sound better or worse in your system than it did in a reviewers not just because of "sound" issues but for reasons of level or electrical compatibility, or choice of transport or even type of music. Then we have the downstream to consider - perhaps your speakers + room won't benefit from the most revealing front end even if revealing does not mean etched or negatively anayltical.

You could just get stuck in an endless research loop looking for something that everyone loves and even then it may not be the best match for your system. I find that there is nothing here (unless incredibly obscure) that is universally loved by everyone, if you search hard enought, and for good reason.
By all means consider the right components and narrow the field of competitors then pick the likely candidates and *try them in your system*. Try your best to make each work but don't be surprised if you end up with what you thought would be your number 2 choice or #3, 4, etc.
I think the thing to remember about the Benchmark is that Atkinson compared it to the Arcam FMJ 33, which is, according to all who've heard it, quite lovely. If the Benchmark is in the company of the Arcam, it's quite, quite good, especially since JA used a recording he himself made to compare the two players and found them equally good. Does more need to be said than that the person engineering a cd found the processor to sound as he recorded it?! I mean, wouldn't you exepct that he WOULD have a good idea of how accurate the sound --and musicality -- is?
As one of the 'negative' guys - I think the Benchmark is a great value, but when I hear people (not necessarily here either) say it blew away an AA Capitole, a Levinson, a DCS - it is time to say 'rubbish'. What you mean is you preferred it, or it worked better in your system. It is remarkable that it does that at such a price, but be careful with the hype. The Benchmark is very very good but is not perfect. I came very close to buying one, but when I found that the pros generally had a higher regard for the Lavry Blue I tried that and found it had all of the performance I enjoyed in the Benchmark but with a more natural presentation, one that I think (but do not claim) most audiophiles would prefer. But the Lavry costs a few hundred more (not the $8000 claimed by DNS) and has fewer features. Whether it is preferred by you is up to you.

DNS is right that the negative comments are a backlash - to the sometimes unbridled BS about an excellent product that like everything else is not quite perfect and not necessarily to all tastes.

But to make you guys with Benchmark's happy (and set the record straight) - I agree you have a great DAC at a ludicrous bargain price. Why do you have to believe that mild criticism of your DAC has to be deluded or dishonest?

To those that don't yet have one - I don't agree the Apogee is in quite the same league, but the Lavry Blue definitely is and I think most audiophiles would prefer its more natural music-making. But we are talking 'flavors' here, and about a few hundred more dollars for a small and subtle (but for me important) difference. If you have a leaning towards wanting an up-front, ever-so-slightly brash but never harsh, presentation and you want volume control and/or headphone output, then just buy the Benchmark.
Redkiwi, the price of the Lavry DA2002 is $8,500, as per the 10/04 Stereophile List of Recommended Components.
And that is not the Lavry Blue, also called the 4496. The Lavry Blue costs around 1200 for a stereo DAC, but can be expanded to six channels of DAC for around 800 per 2 channels.