Benchmark DAC1 auditions out there? latest model

I just purchased the latest DAC1 and I think that the sound is absolutely superb for the money. I had auditioned the previous version and thought it too was superb. The newer one to my ears sounds a bit more airey in the treble. The same great bass is there, the same huge stage and delicate treble without the digital glare so common in sub 1K products is all there. I find that the Cardas Golden Reference power cord pushes the package foreward more than one might suspect a power cord can do. What auditions have others compared the DAC1 to and what were your impressons? Jallen
jallen
As one of the 'negative' guys - I think the Benchmark is a great value, but when I hear people (not necessarily here either) say it blew away an AA Capitole, a Levinson, a DCS - it is time to say 'rubbish'. What you mean is you preferred it, or it worked better in your system. It is remarkable that it does that at such a price, but be careful with the hype. The Benchmark is very very good but is not perfect. I came very close to buying one, but when I found that the pros generally had a higher regard for the Lavry Blue I tried that and found it had all of the performance I enjoyed in the Benchmark but with a more natural presentation, one that I think (but do not claim) most audiophiles would prefer. But the Lavry costs a few hundred more (not the $8000 claimed by DNS) and has fewer features. Whether it is preferred by you is up to you.

DNS is right that the negative comments are a backlash - to the sometimes unbridled BS about an excellent product that like everything else is not quite perfect and not necessarily to all tastes.

But to make you guys with Benchmark's happy (and set the record straight) - I agree you have a great DAC at a ludicrous bargain price. Why do you have to believe that mild criticism of your DAC has to be deluded or dishonest?

To those that don't yet have one - I don't agree the Apogee is in quite the same league, but the Lavry Blue definitely is and I think most audiophiles would prefer its more natural music-making. But we are talking 'flavors' here, and about a few hundred more dollars for a small and subtle (but for me important) difference. If you have a leaning towards wanting an up-front, ever-so-slightly brash but never harsh, presentation and you want volume control and/or headphone output, then just buy the Benchmark.
Redkiwi, the price of the Lavry DA2002 is $8,500, as per the 10/04 Stereophile List of Recommended Components.
And that is not the Lavry Blue, also called the 4496. The Lavry Blue costs around 1200 for a stereo DAC, but can be expanded to six channels of DAC for around 800 per 2 channels.
Redkiwi,

I'm curious about something. I agree generally with your assesment of the limitations of the benchmark (when going through the volume control). But did you audition the benchmark set in the "calibrated" position? We found that the sound became bigger, smoother, clearer, more layered, with tighter, stronger bass. Actually, better in every way when swicthed from "variable" (volume control in) to "calibrated" (volume control out). The funny thing is that the output level drops slighlty when switched to "calibrated". At first you might think that the signal is going through another stage, but I believe the output level drops slightly because you are bypassing another gain stage that helps push the signal through the volume control. In "calibrated" position the signal is less degraded and the sound much more convincingly realistic...without ANY digital edge.

BTW, I considered the Lavry blue but it is strictly "balanced"...which is fine. Set up properly the Benchmark is the REAL deal.
After_hrs,

I did most of my listening to the Benchmark without using the volume control and with the calibrated volume set low and using the balanced connections.

The Benchmark is the real deal indeed. All I am wanting to do is tame the hype a bit and suggest there are a couple of others to listen to at about this price range before you buy, that are also incredible value for money. The Lavry Blue is one of those, with a different presentation, which may or may not be to your preference.