Beware of NAD M3 Fire Hazard

My $3k NAD M3 started shooting sparks out the top and burned the shelf that was 8" above. Luckily I was home and not sleeping or the house would have burned down. If anyone has one of these I advise them to unplug it when not in use. I took it to two different repair shops and they said it would be about $800 to just get it running and there may be board issues. They advised not to take the gamble. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with it?
pwb
I haven’t seen capacitor application notes in decades, but I believe heat still applies, right? That is, the capacitor can be aged while on, not necessarily because of the voltage applied but because of the heat in the amp. Further, higher temperature caps also have longer life spans at a given temperature than lower temp caps, or am I mistaken?

I agree, unfortunately, that the failure here seems not worth fixing. That’s a lot of cleaning to do, with no guarantees.

If it were MY personal unit, I would attempt to clean it, and see if the remaining power supply works, and if the logic/preamp circuits appear in tact, then and only then would I attempt to rebuild the burned out side. Still, lots of work with no guaranteed happy ending.
almarg9,445 posts

03-15-2020
11:20am

I noticed the vent cap on the other cap did not look like it was affected by the event. It doesn’t look like there is any bulging in the top vent cover. Wouldn’t the shorting diode have affected that cap as well?

@jea48
Jim, good question, but the answer is that the schematic shows that there is a separate diode bridge (and other circuitry) associated with each of the two capacitors that are in each channel. One set of diodes/capacitors/and other circuitry provides approximately +72 VDC, while the other set provides approximately -72 VDC.

Best regards,
-- Al

Al, thanks for the quick response. You provided the reason why.....

Any thoughts on my comment on this part of my previous post.

heaudio123,

Would you please explain the event in time of the shorted diode. How long of an event time did the short of the diode last before, I assume, the diode blew apart breaking the short circuit on the secondary winding of the toroid power transformer?

From the OP:
pwb OP9 posts  

03-14-2020 
 3:03pm  

Thanks for the responses. As far as I know the fuses are intact. I stopped the sparks shooting out the top by unplugging it.
AC Mains was still supplying energy until the OP unplugged the amp from the wall.

Jim
I will never purchase an NAD product again.
EVERY product suffers one-off failures.

NAD has made millions of units with very high reliability and excellent sonics for very reasonable prices.

NAD are well engineered. Electronics are made of component sourced from dozens of manufacturers. A dozen or more maybe involved in the power supply alone. All are potential points of failure for which NAD unjustly suffers the blame.

It's possible that a line surge coupled with a weakish part at precisely the wrong moment caused the only catastrophic failure on the planet.

The probability than another NAD unit would suffer a similar fate is small.

The unit is an audio computer and computers are replaced quite frequently.  The last firmware update was a decade ago, so the unit could be nearing EOL.

Some questions:
- did you buy it new?
- was the unit left on all the time?
- what is the local line voltage? 
pwb OP9 posts  

03-15-2020  
 10:01am  

Thank you everyone for the useful information. I guess I will just have to take the loss and move on. I will never purchase an NAD product again. Anyone have a recommendation for a good integrated under 2k. It’s for a second system driving Merlin tsm-mmm speakers. Thanks.

pwb,

I wish you would take the time and contact NAD tech support here in the US. Send them the photos you provided on this thread. The photos speak volumes to the damage that was caused by the cap in the amp. Make sure you tell them the sparks were still flying when you walked into the room. Let them know if you had not been home there is no telling what the damage may have been to your home.
Be polite! .....

I would hope NAD America would want the amp to determine exactly, if possible, what caused the catastrophic event that caused the electrolytic cap to blow its’ top the way it did. I would hope NAD America would pay for the shipping.

Jim
I bought the unit used 3 year ago on AudiogonThe unit was never left on when not in useThe local line voltage is 110
 A cd had finished playing 20 minutes earlier and I hadn't turned off the components yet. I was in another room when I heard the noise and ran in and saw the sparks shooting out the top. The room was filled with smoke. Another minute and the house would have been on fire. Very alarming and scary.  I will try to contact NAD.