SACD - Dying already?

I just read the industry blurb in this month's TAS which described how it seems the stream of SACDs from Sony has pretty much dried up. I was in the largest local independent record store in my area last week and actually bought a SACD because it was music not available on CD. The SACD/DVD-A section was a bit smaller than a year ago and I asked the manager about it. He laughed and said they only sell 2-3 a month combined and he doesn't order many anymore.

Except for audiophiles, is anyone buying these things? Or, are all hopes and dreams of SACD slowly fading away (for at least Sony)?
tomryan
I've been to the Virgin Record store in Orlando twice in the last year and it was hopping. Last time I stood in line behind 10-12 people but it was in a tourist area. Same thing with Dearborn Music even though I usually go in mornings during the week. However, I've noticed local Borders' music sections are quite empty. Problem I have with on-line is the lack of ability to browse. Virgin has such a hugh selection that I always find things that I didn't know existed or stuff forgotten years ago. Maybe someone can tell me how to cruise through Amazon finding stuff I didn't know about or had forgotten. Same reason I don't use NetFlix anymore - too damn difficult to scope out the available movies.

My local store sells some SACDs for $15.00 but it seems there are manufacturers who still think the format is worth $25.00.
Go to a CD shop that sells used CD's
You might be surprised what you find.
I have found several used and mint SACD's for $9.99
From what I recall,Best Buys SACD's usually are ~ $14-$18
Gawd, SACD has been around only four years and we're already scrounging like analog addicts. (Actually, I could easily be one as listening to good analog makes good digital sound uninvolving. I gave up turntables 6 years ago when CD playback got so good. There is still something fascinating about the whole vinyl experience and there is actually lots and lots of new stuff available. Just saw a movie the other night which had someone giving another an old record. The person receiving it laughed and asked, "Do they even make things to play these on anymore?" The record giver also laughed and said, "No I guess not. Sorry."

And some of you Audiogoners want us to follow Hollywood polictical philosophy!
In many respects...marketing, distribution, and even sonics...Sacd has been a major disappointment(or at least the discs I have purchased),,,many of the established artists have not been remastered in years and were never recorded in true DSD(and recorded poorly to begin with ...Hello Stones...and to be blunt...I feel as if SOny is playing a "Smoke and Mirrors" game that has more to do with copyright protection than improved hi-fidelity///at any rate...there will be other hi-rez formats that stand a better chance of longevity.....