How loud is loud, What DB is actually loud?

I like I should say love old school rock and hip/hop rap and funk all kinds of music. I found out my dads listening level is around 75DB which i find to be completley unsatisfying.

I was looking up Quad esl's and everyone says witha 85DB rating they wont go loud, but how loud is loud, How loud is rocking out?
128x128systembuilder
I listen to music around 80db with peaks to 90db with a Radio Shack SPL meter. Obviously I can turn it up higher if really in the mood to rock, however the best part of a great music passage is the silence inbetween the riffs. The dynamic range and level of a recording has plenty to do with what level sounds good to the listener. Most of the rap is recordeed at the full range capable so all the music and lyrics are at the same volume level. This is just as bad a compressed music MP3 etc.
For me it is about the sound quality. The experience of the music. Volume takes second chair.
Post removed 
Rocking out starts at 95 dB SPL IMHO and can go as high as 105 db SPL at the listening position. You need a system that is capable of producing these prodigious volumes cleanly with as low distortion as at 85 db SPL or else it will just sound awful rather than exhilarating.
What does 'big brother' say? Most towns have noise level ordinances. In the ordnance it will give what db's are considered objectionable,and which could get you a ticket. The most common use of these rules is to silence noisy air condition units. I would agree that 90db would be tops, with most listening being done at 75db to provide lack of strain. Hopefully you have found a good audiologist and have had your hearing levels checked. Only a good hearing test will tell you what actual levels you are 'hearing'. Oh, if you over 65 always get the wax removed. Medicare pays for two cleanings a year. You will be surprised how the latter provides better listening.
Rayray8, 01-08-11: 135db in a car is pretty easy to do with subwoofers. i use to compete with my car about 9 years ago and only had 1 12" subwoofer and would score 136db any day. these competitions are bass only, and usually people use simple test tones to hit one frequency. there are vehicles now that score well over 170db in these competitions.

Elevick, 01-08-11: Imagine what it takes to get to 170db if you keep doubling your power to gain a measly 3db? You need to gain about 10db to double the perceived volume. Even with 102db speakers (which are rare), it takes more wattage than any amp I've seen to get 170db. I imagine that it sounds pretty crummy and distorted at those levels.
If we optimistically assume 110 db for 1 watt, 170 db would require 1,000,000 watts. Doesn't sound too likely to me. Fortunately :-)

Regards,
-- Al