New KEF Reference 5 speakers

After many months of auditioning speakers (and probably testing the patience of several salesmen) I finally decided to get the KEF Reference 5s.  I just loved the wide sound stage and almost holographic imaging, among other things.  They were delivered in February and I’ve spent many hours listening.  At first I was disappointed.  They just didn’t produce the same imaging at my house with my equipment as in the store.  Also, they sounded bright and harsh with violins and high end music.  The dealer came to my house along with the regional sales rep from KEF to provide advice.  They urged me to allow more break in time (at that point they had been played about 100 hours). After many more hours, I am becoming more acquainted with them.  They are still improving with time.  Them break in period seems to be very lon. They’ve played several hundred hours and are still improving. They are extremely source sensitive—meaning that a poorly engineered record or CD will sound terrible and a well recorded one can be great.  I suppose this is a good thing with the KEFS-that they reveal flaws so well says something about their accuracy. Unfortunately there seem to be more bad recordings than good ones so I’m finding many of my CDs and records very difficult to listen to.  I am still experimenting with speaker placement, learning which recordings are really good and which aren’t and other tweaks.  Not totally convinced it’s love but we are at least in like and the relationship is moving in a positive direction. I’ve delayed posting anything until now because I didn’t want to share any premature conclusions.  
fast
I'm coming 1.5 years after your original post however wanted to share my experience with my KEF Reference 5's and center. I absolutely love them. Initially I tested other speakers (B&W and Sonus) but the KR5 (for my ears) have the best soundstage, bass, highs, and overall reproduction. And it's true that if you give them an inferior source they'll be reproduced as such. My living room setup is not measured as I have speakers about 15 ft apart from each other and about 12/15 feet from my sofa. I chose to accommodate based on the available area. The KEFs do not disappoint. They are powered by an MC205 and Marantz AV8802A. My sources come from an Oppo 205 and Rega RP8. While far from the ideal stereo pre-amp setup for LPs, when I play an LP, 45rpm, direct from analog tapes (e.g. Illinois Jacket, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck) it is an incredible audio experience. Just amazing. At the same time, with a 3.1 setup multichannel sound just as good. The balance of soundstage, bass, and overall dynamics is just astounding. I am going to upgrade my amplification to three MC611 or Hegel H30 if I can hear them locally. I just wanted to share that the KEF Reference 5 speakers are, to my ears, unmatched in that price range. Oh, and I love the aesthetic aspect too.
Anybody else wondering if KEF is going to release a newer version of the REFERENCE line or even the Blades. The REFERENCE line currently has a huge sale going on. I spoke with a dealer a few days ago about the Blade and my jaw dropped when I heard the quote for a new Blade2. I won't repeat the number here but me thinks the are clearing out the old stock for some new top end line at KEF.
The Reference 5 sale is only on a couple of finishes which, apparently, are being discontinued.  Other finishes are not on sale. 
Greatxsound-I agree with your assessment of the KEF Reference 5.  The more experience I have with it, the more I appreciate its natural, realistic sound and the 3D imaging/soundstage.  As for aesthetics, I have the foundry edition in white (the color was my wife’s idea). The looks are striking.  Visitors regularly suggest  contacting KEF about featuring our listening room with the white Reference 5s, in an ad. 
Yystantabarbera what Fast said is accurate, there are no sales on any other models of the KEF line only the two finishes Rosewood and Walnut are being closed out. 

As the dealer who helped FAST the OP with his room and getting his system to sound truly fantastic, we agree with his assesement the combination of FAST's room size, and furnishings combined with the white and blue cone color of the Foundry edition looks absolutely stunning and should be in an ad for Kef. 

In our opion Fast's orginal setup with 20 year old ARC gear sounded more like real music than a local SF dealers $50k YG/Naim, setup which was about $200k with the cabling which was all Nordost, and the table.

The KEF designs are very impressive, if you read the white paper on the Reference series it is clear that KEF's engineers looked at every facet of how to reduce or eliminate distortion in the Ref series. 

You have to go to a $15k monitor such as the Vimberg or TAD ME 1 before you can truly best the Kef Ref 1. 

We had the Blade in one of its first demos in the East coast at the New York Audio show in 2012, our setup all Chord Reference amps, Esoteric Dac, and such sounded as good as a $400k plus setup down the hall with Solution and YG Sonias, for way less money,

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Kef dealers

@audiotroy I thought Rosewood and Walnut were 2 of the nicer colors.

I have to agree with you that the TAD ME1 is a little better than the Ref 1 but the TAD is overpriced in my view, especially when TAD were OK in reducing it to $10K for a few months.

I am going to locally audition another set of electronics you carry, CODA, I want to consider it with KEF Blade2 or LS50. The 07x preamp and #8 amp (they do not have #16).

Anyways, sorry to divert this thread. As I mentioned in the past a telephone call will be coming your way before I put money down on the Blade2.